Conservation of Energy and Momentum Lie

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
arbitrator
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Conservation of Energy and Momentum "Lie"

Homework Statement


Each marble on a Newtonian demonstrator has a mass m, and the 1st marble hits the others with a velocity v.
1. Using the law of conservation of momentum - determine the velocities for:
a. Two marbles moving up
b. Three marbles moving up
c. Four marbles moving up
2. Using the law of conservation of energy - show that the scenarios a-c violate this law.
3. Describe the "lie" in stating that these laws apply and can solve problems.
(assume there is no air resistance and that the marbles are perfectly elastic)

Homework Equations


Win + PEi + KEi = Wout + PEf + KEf ( KE and PE are kinetic and potential energy respectivley)
m1v1 = m2v2

The Attempt at a Solution


So far I have worked through numbers 1 and 2, here is an example of my work:
Using conservation of momentum
a) mv1 = mv2 + mv2
mv1 = 2mv2
v1 = 2v2
Using conservation of energy
a) 0.5mv12 = 0.5mv22 + 0.5mv22
0.5mv12 = mv22
mv12 = 2mv22
v12 = 2v22
v1 = (2)1/2v2
Note: because the mass of each marble is the same, I use m for all the masses; because the velocities of the 1st marble and the other marbles are different, I use v with a subscript to indicate which velocity it is
So I've found that when I use each law to find the velocity of the other marbles, I get different results. My task is to find out why and my teacher instructed me to use the internet. Using what I've learned so far won't help, since all we've covered is motion, forces, energy, and momentum.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Well you're off to a good start. The rest of the assignment is totally conceptual. It helps if you say or write out a few statements: "Conservation of momentum is never violated," and "Conservation of energy is never violated." (let's ignore quantum fluctuations for now).

For any situation, both of these laws must be satisfied, not one or the other. In the "http://www.walter-fendt.de/ph14e/ncradle.htm" " demonstration, what is the outcome that will satisfy both laws at the same time?

And what do your mathematical "disagreements" ( in a, b, and c ) say about the possibility of those outcomes?
 
Last edited by a moderator:


In the "Newton's Cradle" demonstration, what is the outcome that will satisfy both laws at the same time?

Would these outcomes be the number of marbles that move up when 1 marble hits the series of marbles? In that case the outcome would be 1 marble moving up when 1 marble hits the series.

But if we change the problem to say that a marble with a mass of m hits a marble with a mass of 2m. As far as the two laws apply, is this problem the same as the original?

conservation of momentum
mv1 = 2mv2
v1 = 2v2

conservation of energy
0.5mv12 = 0.5*2mv22
mv12 = 2mv22
v12 = 2v22[/SUP
v1 = 21/2v2

The velocities are the same as those calculated in the original problem, but still unequal. I'm not sure if I'm thinking along the right lines, but is there some sort of kinetic energy transfer? So that when using the law of coservation of energy I should instead write it as: KEi = KEf + Wout rather than KEi = KEf because the kinetic energy of the 1st marble and more massive marble is not the same? If so then what is the Wout?