Conservation of Energy/Gravitational Potential Energy

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Dougggggg
Messages
152
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


There are 2 buckets hanging from a single pulley with rope (not considering the mass) that connects them. One is on the ground and has a mass of 4.0 kg, the second is 2.00 m above the ground when released. Using conservation of energy, find the speed of the second bucket when it hits the ground.


Homework Equations


K1+U1-Wother=K2+U2

Ug=mgh

K=[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]mv2


The Attempt at a Solution


I put K1 and U2 equal to 0 and made Wother equal to m1gh. Then just solved for v by multiplying by 2/m2 and square rooting.

PHY2110755.jpg


I got 5.11 m/s but the book says 4.4 m/s. Anyone know where I messed up or what I'm not accounting for?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
tiny-tim said:
Hi Dougggggg! :smile:

Both buckets have KE. :wink:

So I would set it equal to a second K on the right side of the equation? I will try it out and edit when I have solved.

Awesome, worked perfectly, thanks.
 
Last edited: