Conservation of Energy/Gravitational Potential Energy

In summary, the conversation discusses using conservation of energy to find the speed of a second bucket connected to a rope and pulley system when it hits the ground. The solution involves considering both the kinetic energy and gravitational potential energy of the buckets and solving for the speed using the given masses and height.
Dougggggg

Homework Statement

There are 2 buckets hanging from a single pulley with rope (not considering the mass) that connects them. One is on the ground and has a mass of 4.0 kg, the second is 2.00 m above the ground when released. Using conservation of energy, find the speed of the second bucket when it hits the ground.

Homework Equations

K1+U1-Wother=K2+U2

Ug=mgh

K=[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]mv2

The Attempt at a Solution

I put K1 and U2 equal to 0 and made Wother equal to m1gh. Then just solved for v by multiplying by 2/m2 and square rooting.

PHY2110755.jpg

I got 5.11 m/s but the book says 4.4 m/s. Anyone know where I messed up or what I'm not accounting for?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Dougggggg! :smile:

Both buckets have KE. :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi Dougggggg! :smile:

Both buckets have KE. :wink:

So I would set it equal to a second K on the right side of the equation? I will try it out and edit when I have solved.

Awesome, worked perfectly, thanks.

Last edited:

What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant over time.

What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or height above the ground in a gravitational field. The higher an object is positioned, the more potential energy it has.

How is gravitational potential energy calculated?

The gravitational potential energy of an object can be calculated using the formula PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object.

Can gravitational potential energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, gravitational potential energy can be converted into other forms of energy. For example, when an object falls from a height, its potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as it gains speed. Similarly, a rollercoaster at the top of a hill has high potential energy which is converted into kinetic energy as it moves down the track.

How is the conservation of energy related to gravitational potential energy?

The conservation of energy applies to all forms of energy, including gravitational potential energy. This means that the total amount of energy in a system must remain constant, even as potential energy is converted into other forms of energy. This principle is important in understanding the behavior of objects in a gravitational field.