Conservation of Energy in a Block-Cylinder System

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
shashusad
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
I have this question on my Circular motion assignment, but its somehow connected to free fall. I'm unable to picturize the situation mentioned in question...

A 3.35 kg block is attached to a string that is wrapped around a 1.22 kg, 5.03 cm diameter hollow cylinder that is free to rotate on an axel through the center. The block is released 1.11 m above the ground. What is the speed of the block as it hits the ground?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
shashusad said:
I have this question on my Circular motion assignment, but its somehow connected to free fall. I'm unable to picturize the situation mentioned in question...

A 3.35 kg block is attached to a string that is wrapped around a 1.22 kg, 5.03 cm diameter hollow cylinder that is free to rotate on an axel through the center. The block is released 1.11 m above the ground. What is the speed of the block as it hits the ground?
As the block falls what happens to the cylinder? What's conserved?

(The block is not in free fall--it's connected by the string to the cylinder.)
 
The energy will be conserved. The gravitational potential energy of the block gets converted into tranlational kinetic energy of the block and rotational kinetic energy of the cylinder. I got the answer... Thanks a lot Doc Al !