Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of Energy in Mechanics for Point Mass

1. Mar 4, 2015 #1
    Reading "Atmospheric Thermodynamics" I'm stumped almost as soon as I've started. I've probably bitten off more than I can chew and this also might even be more of a math question than a physics one but where I'm stuck is where they "simplify" from:

mv . dv/dt = -mgv . ez (where ez is a unit vector on the z-axis and the dots signify scalar multiplication by v)

to

d/dt 1/2mv . v = d/dt 1/2 mv2 = -mg dz/dt

What I do get is that on the right we have v . ez = dz/dt, since velocity is the derivative of displacement (z) with respect to time.

What I don't get is the operation on the left by which the d/dt is just magically pulled out, leaving the v behind to work its own kind of magic on the other v. The text simply says "This equation can be simplified:" so I guess the authors presume a reader of more skill than I currently have in terms of playing with derivatives. What is it about a derivative that allows that d/dt to be stripped of its v and yanked out in front like that? And where the heck does that 1/2 appear from?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2015 #2
    It is just the derivative
    [tex] \dfrac{dv^2}{dt} = 2 v \dfrac{dv}{dt} [/tex]
    Which comes from the rule
    [tex] \dfrac{d f(t)^\alpha}{dt} = \alpha f(t)^{\alpha-1} \dfrac{df(t)}{dt} [/tex]

4. Mar 4, 2015 #3
    Thanks Matteo, that's somewhat familiar but I'm so rusty on this stuff it's not funny.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook