Conservation of Energy -- Object around a loop

In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving finding the minimum exit speed for a mass to maintain contact with a frictionless circular loop. The first part of the solution involved finding the velocity at the top, while the second part involved finding the velocity at the bottom. There was a discrepancy in the final answer, with one person getting 11.07m/s and another getting 12m/s. It was suggested that the book answer may be incorrect. There was also a discussion about the assumptions made in solving the problem.
PhysicsCollegeGirl
Hello!
I am having problems with this exercise if someone can please help me.

Homework Statement

In order to go all the way around a frictionless circular loop of R=2.5 m , how fast must a mass be moving as it exits at the bottom of the loop.

2. The attempt at a solution
I am doing this problem in two parts. First I find the velocity at the top, and then I look for the velocity at the bottom. So,

part 1. V at top
W + PEi + KEi = KEf + PEf + Heat loss
0 + 0 + (1/2)(m)(v^2) = 0 + mgh + 0
v= sqrt [(gh)(2)] = sqrt [(9.8*4*R)] = 9.89

part 2. V at bottom
0 + mgh + (1/2)(m)(vtop^2) = (1/2)(m)(vbot^2) + 0 + 0
sqrt[((gh)+(1/2)(vtop^2))*2] = vbot
sqrt[((g2*R)+(1/2)(vtop^2))*2] = vbot
vbot = 11.06
However, the homework says I should be getting 12 m/s as a response.

Physics news on Phys.org
PhysicsCollegeGirl said:
sqrt[((g2*R)+(1/2)(vtop^2))*2] = vbot
You may want to check your math. It looks like 11.06 is wrong using your equation - unless I did the math wrong, which I have been known to do on (Edit: many) occasions.

Wait a minute. I went back and looked at your "velocity at the top" calculation. I think what the problem is asking is this: What is the minimum exit speed for the mass to maintain contact with the surface for the entire loop. So what that means is that the mass is just barely making contact with the surface at the top. In other words, the normal force from the track on the mass is 0 at the top of the loop. So how do you calculate the speed of the mass at the top under that condition?

PhysicsCollegeGirl said:
a frictionless circular loop
This is unclear. Is it inside the loop, with nothing to prevent it falling off in the top half, or is it like a bead on a wire?
PhysicsCollegeGirl said:
exits at the bottom of the loop.
Enters?
PhysicsCollegeGirl said:
What is the basis of this equation? You seem to be finding the KE after descending h from somewhere above the top of the loop.

Likes TomHart
I also got 11.07m/s.

I assumed it was a loop that you could fall off. I used a Free Body Diagram to analyse the forces and calculate the minimum velocity at the top needed to stick to the inside of a loop. That worked out at 4.95m/s. Then applied conservation of energy to get the velocity at the bottom = 11.07m/s.

You get the same value if you assume the problem was asking for the entry or exit velocity at the bottom because it's frictionless.

If you assume it's a bead on a wire (rather than a track you can fall off) you get a lower value than 11.07m/s because the mass "only just" has to reach the top.

I think the book answer is wrong.

CWatters said:
I also got 11.07m/s.

But @CWatters, she got a different minimum velocity (9.89 m/s) at the top than you did so she should not have gotten the same final answer. Please take a look at her method of calculating the velocity at the top. Thank you.

haruspex said:
You seem to be finding the KE after descending h from somewhere above the top of the loop.
@haruspex, I just now saw this in your post. I like how you worded that.

PhysicsCollegeGirl said:
part 1. V at top
v= sqrt [(gh)(2)] = sqrt [(9.8*4*R)] = 9.89

The above calculation equates the initial Kinetic Energy (KEi) with the final Potential Energy PEf. So the velocity you are calculating is not the velocity at the top. You have calculated the velocity the mass would need at the bottom in order to coast up to the top and arrive there with zero velocity (KEf=0). That's not sufficient velocity to avoid the mass falling off the track (unless it's a bead on a wire type).

TomHart said:
Wait a minute. I went back and looked at your "velocity at the top" calculation. I think what the problem is asking is this: What is the minimum exit speed for the mass to maintain contact with the surface for the entire loop. So what that means is that the mass is just barely making contact with the surface at the top. In other words, the normal force from the track on the mass is 0 at the top of the loop. So how do you calculate the speed of the mass at the top under that condition?

haruspex said:
This is unclear. Is it inside the loop, with nothing to prevent it falling off in the top half, or is it like a bead on a wire?

Enters?

What is the basis of this equation? You seem to be finding the KE after descending h from somewhere above the top of the loop.

CWatters said:
I also got 11.07m/s.

I assumed it was a loop that you could fall off. I used a Free Body Diagram to analyse the forces and calculate the minimum velocity at the top needed to stick to the inside of a loop. That worked out at 4.95m/s. Then applied conservation of energy to get the velocity at the bottom = 11.07m/s.

You get the same value if you assume the problem was asking for the entry or exit velocity at the bottom because it's frictionless.

If you assume it's a bead on a wire (rather than a track you can fall off) you get a lower value than 11.07m/s because the mass "only just" has to reach the top.

I think the book answer is wrong.

CWatters said:
The above calculation equates the initial Kinetic Energy (KEi) with the final Potential Energy PEf. So the velocity you are calculating is not the velocity at the top. You have calculated the velocity the mass would need at the bottom in order to coast up to the top and arrive there with zero velocity (KEf=0). That's not sufficient velocity to avoid the mass falling off the track (unless it's a bead on a wire type).

Ok, I understand now what you are saying. It is indeed a problem with a mass that can fall off, like a roller coaster, I didn't put the picture but it is like that. Using net force = mass * centripetal acceleration I got 4.95 m/s, just like @CWatters.
Thank you for making it more clear.
With that info, I looked for the Vbot, but I still got 11.06 m/s. But I am pretty sure that is the right answer anyway.
Sadly, this was a question on a multiple choice test and the options they gave you were: a. 8 m/s b. 10 m/s and c. 12 m/s
But I understand it much better now, so thank you all!

Likes TomHart
CWatters said:
You get the same value if you assume the problem was asking for the entry or exit velocity
Sure, but it is odd to use "must" in that case. It defies everyday ways of expressing causality, which would ask what speed it must have on entry, or what speed it will have on exit.

Given the answer 12m/s, the radius should have been 3m, or nearly.

Likes TomHart
haruspex said:
Sure, but it is odd to use "must" in that case. It defies everyday ways of expressing causality, which would ask what speed it must have on entry, or what speed it will have on exit.
I like how you worded that too. The wording of the problem caused confusion.

1. What is the conservation of energy?

The conservation of energy is a fundamental principle in physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed from one form to another.

2. How does the conservation of energy apply to an object around a loop?

In the context of an object moving around a loop, the conservation of energy means that the total amount of energy (potential energy + kinetic energy) of the object will remain constant throughout its motion.

3. What are the different forms of energy involved in the conservation of energy for an object around a loop?

The two main forms of energy involved are potential energy, which is the energy an object has due to its position or state, and kinetic energy, which is the energy an object has due to its motion.

4. How does the conservation of energy affect the speed of an object around a loop?

According to the conservation of energy, the total energy of the object must remain constant. Therefore, as the object moves around the loop, its potential energy will decrease while its kinetic energy will increase, resulting in a constant overall energy. This means that the object's speed will vary throughout the loop but will always return to its original speed at the starting point.

5. Can the conservation of energy be violated in the context of an object around a loop?

No, the conservation of energy is a fundamental law of physics that has been extensively tested and proven through experiments. Any apparent violations of this law can be explained by the presence of external forces or factors that were not initially considered.