Conservation of energy of an ice flake

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
lauriecherie
Messages
44
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A 1.90 g ice flake is released from the ege of a hemispherical bwon whose radius r is 28.0 cm. The flake bowl contact is frictionless. What is the speed of the flake when it reaches the bottom of the bowl.

Homework Equations


I took KINETIC ENERGY = GRAVITATIONAL POTENTION ENERGY. since KINETIC ENERGY = .5*M*V^2, and GRAVITATIONAL POTENTIAL ENERGY = MGH, i canclled the masses and solved for V. That gave me VELOCITY = SQUARE ROOT OF (2*G*R).


The Attempt at a Solution


I got 23.44 for my answer but after looking over my calculations I noticed that the radius is given in cm. Need I convert it to meters? If I do my answer comes out as 2.344 m/s. Is this correct now?
 
Physics news on Phys.org