Conservation of energy of an oxygen molecule

In summary, the conversation discusses using the conservation of energy equation to determine the height at which an oxygen molecule must fall in a vacuum to have the same kinetic energy as an average oxygen molecule at 200 K. The attempted solution uses Eavg=3/2KbT, but it is pointed out that since oxygen is a diatomic molecule, Eavg should be 5/2KbT. This results in a different answer of 7855.8 m, which is deemed correct by the group.
jincy34
[SOLVED] conservation of energy

Homework Statement

From what height must an oxygen molecule fall in a vacuum so that its kinetic energy at the bottom equals the average energy of an oxygen molecule at 200 K?

Homework Equations

conservation of energy
Eavg=3/2KbT
Epot=mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

I used conservation of energy and set
Epot.=Eavg. and got 7855.8 m. But it is wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the correct ans? This one seems to be right. Or my computer's not working.

I get to see the answer only after it is due. It is due thursday. when i tried this answer, the computer says it is wrong.

Eavg=3/2KbT
Oxygen molecule is a diatomic molecule. Therefore Eavg = 5/2kbT. Try this.

Thank you.

rl.bhat said:
Eavg=3/2KbT
Oxygen molecule is a diatomic molecule. Therefore Eavg = 5/2kbT. Try this.

Oy. Forgot about that altogether. Thanks from me too.

1. What is conservation of energy of an oxygen molecule?

Conservation of energy of an oxygen molecule refers to the principle that states energy cannot be created or destroyed, but rather it can only be transformed from one form to another. In the case of an oxygen molecule, this means that the total energy of the molecule remains constant, even as it undergoes various physical and chemical changes.

2. Why is conservation of energy important for oxygen molecules?

Conservation of energy is important for oxygen molecules because it allows them to maintain a stable and balanced energy level. Without this principle, oxygen molecules could potentially gain or lose energy uncontrollably, leading to unpredictable and potentially harmful consequences.

3. How does conservation of energy apply to the oxygen cycle?

The oxygen cycle is a natural process in which oxygen is continuously cycled through the Earth's atmosphere, biosphere, and lithosphere. Conservation of energy applies to this cycle as it ensures that the total energy of oxygen molecules remains constant, even as they move through different parts of the cycle.

4. Can conservation of energy be violated for oxygen molecules?

No, conservation of energy cannot be violated for oxygen molecules. This principle is a fundamental law of physics and applies to all particles, including oxygen molecules. Any apparent violation of conservation of energy can be explained by the transformation of energy to a different form.

5. How does conservation of energy impact environmental issues related to oxygen molecules?

Conservation of energy is crucial for understanding and addressing environmental issues related to oxygen molecules. It allows scientists to track how energy is being used and transformed within the environment, which can help identify potential problems and develop effective solutions to preserve the balance of energy in the ecosystem.