Conservation of energy on loop. Nearly done

In summary: So, good job!In summary, when calculating the force of the rails on a roller coaster car at the top of a loop, the centripetal force must be found first by subtracting the weight of the car from the net force. This is because the centripetal force is the total inward force towards the center of the circle, and the weight of the car is in the same direction. Therefore, to find the force from the rails alone, the weight must be subtracted from the net force.
irishbob

Homework Statement

A 1500-kg roller coaster car starts from rest at a height H=23.0m above the bottom of a 15.0-m-diameter loop. If friction is negligible, determine the downward force of the rails on the car when the upside-down car is at the top of the loop.

Homework Equations

Conservation of energy: U+K=Esys
U=mgh
K=0.5mv2
F=ma
acentripetal=v2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

Uinitial=Esys because starts from rest. Uinitial=mghinitial
at the top of the loop: Esys=U+K=mghtop+0.5mv2
meaning mghinitial=mghtop+0.5mv2
simplifying: v2=2(ghinitial-ghtop).
so:
F=macentripetal=mv2/r=
1500kg*2(9.81m/s2*23m-9.81m/s2*15)/7.5mSo that gives an answer of 31,392N. I know the answer is 16.7 kN (back of book), and I know you get there by subtracting mg. So why am I subtracting mg? I would think that would be the TOTAL force and not solely the force of the tracks on the car.

Any and all help is much appreciated!

Edit: You know, I think I get it. I solved for centripetal force, which is the total inward force toward the center of the circle. Because mg is in that direction, I subtract it and get the force from the tracks. Is this right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
irishbob said:
Edit: You know, I think I get it. I solved for centripetal force, which is the total inward force toward the center of the circle. Because mg is in that direction, I subtract it and get the force from the tracks. Is this right?
Yes, that's right. The 'centripetal force' is just the net force. To find the contribution from the tracks, you must subtract mg. It's always best to think in terms of Newton's 2nd law:
ΣF = ma
N + mg = mv2/r
N = mv2/r - mg

irishbob said:

Homework Statement

A 1500-kg roller coaster car starts from rest at a height H=23.0m above the bottom of a 15.0-m-diameter loop. If friction is negligible, determine the downward force of the rails on the car when the upside-down car is at the top of the loop.

Homework Equations

Conservation of energy: U+K=Esys
U=mgh
K=0.5mv2
F=ma
acentripetal=v2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

Uinitial=Esys because starts from rest. Uinitial=mghinitial
at the top of the loop: Esys=U+K=mghtop+0.5mv2
meaning mghinitial=mghtop+0.5mv2
simplifying: v2=2(ghinitial-ghtop).
so:
F=macentripetal=mv2/r=
1500kg*2(9.81m/s2*23m-9.81m/s2*15)/7.5m

So that gives an answer of 31,392N. I know the answer is 16.7 kN (back of book), and I know you get there by subtracting mg. So why am I subtracting mg? I would think that would be the TOTAL force and not solely the force of the tracks on the car.

Any and all help is much appreciated!

Glad you worked it out - I highlighted some wording in the question, and your pondering which re-inforces what you realized.

What is the conservation of energy?

The conservation of energy is a fundamental law of physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another.

How does the conservation of energy apply to a loop?

In a loop, the conservation of energy means that the total energy of the system remains constant. This means that the energy at the beginning of the loop must be equal to the energy at the end of the loop.

Why is conservation of energy important in a loop?

Conservation of energy is important in a loop because it allows us to predict and understand the behavior of the system. It also ensures that the system remains in equilibrium, with no energy being lost or gained.

What factors can affect conservation of energy in a loop?

In a loop, factors such as friction, air resistance, and gravity can all affect the conservation of energy. These external forces can cause energy to be lost or gained in the system, leading to a change in the total energy of the loop.

How can we ensure conservation of energy in a loop?

To ensure conservation of energy in a loop, we must carefully consider and account for all external forces acting on the system. We can also minimize energy loss by using efficient materials and designs in the loop. Additionally, regular maintenance and adjustments can help maintain the conservation of energy in the loop.