Conservation of Energy problem.

In summary, a 0.030-kg bullet fired at 200 m/s collides with a 0.15-kg baseball initially at rest and embeds itself in the ball. Using the equation m1v1 + m2v2 = (m1 + m2) v', the resulting velocity is 33.333 m/s. With the knowledge of acceleration being -9.81 m/s², the kinematic equations can be used to determine the height of the combined bullet and baseball after the collision.
cyspope

Homework Statement

A 0.030-kg bullet is fired vertically at 200 m/s into a 0.15-kg baseball that is initially at rest. How high does the combined bullet and baseball rise after the collision, assuming the bullet embeds itself in the ball?

Homework Equations

m1v1 + m2v2 = (m1 + m2) v'

The Attempt at a Solution

0.030 kg * 200 m/s + 0.15 kg * 0 m/s = (0.030 kg + 0.15 kg) v' = 6 = 0.18 v'
v' = 33.333 m/s
[tex]\Delta[/tex]p = m(vf-vo) = 0.18 kg (33.333 m/s) = 5.999 = 6 kg * m/s

Ok, this is what I did so far. Even though I know the velocity of the bullet + ball, I don't know how high it went up because I think I need to know the time or acceleration to find x, which is height.

Please help me what to do next.

Physics news on Phys.org
The acceleration is -9.81 m/s².

but I don't know the time.

Take a look at the kinematic equations for constant acceleration. One of them will work here.

1. What is the concept of conservation of energy?

The concept of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but it can be transformed from one form to another.

2. Why is the conservation of energy important?

The conservation of energy is important because it is a fundamental principle of physics that helps us understand and predict the behavior of physical systems.

3. How is the conservation of energy applied in real life?

The conservation of energy is applied in various ways in real life, such as in the design of energy-efficient buildings, the development of renewable energy sources, and the understanding of natural processes like photosynthesis.

4. What are some examples of conservation of energy problems?

Some examples of conservation of energy problems include calculating the potential and kinetic energy of objects, analyzing energy transfers in simple machines, and determining the energy efficiency of a system.

5. Is the conservation of energy a universal law?

Yes, the conservation of energy is considered a universal law in physics, as it has been observed to hold true in all physical systems and processes that have been studied.