Conservation of energy problem

In summary, the problem is asking for the velocity needed for a projectile to reach the surface of the Earth when starting at the center. The correct answer is 7.9km/s, which takes into account the gravitational potential inside the Earth. The negative on the right hand side of the equation is cancelled because at any point inside the Earth, the net gravitational force is zero due to the mass from the radius to the surface cancelling out. The gravitational potential formula for a point inside the Earth is needed to solve this problem.
Airsteve0
I am having trouble with the following problem:

With what velocity should a projectile be started ar the center of the Earth to reach the surface of the Earth?

When I attempt to solve this using 1/2mv^2 = -(GMm)/R I get an answer of 11.8 km/s. However, the correct answer is 7.9km/s. I know that it has something to do with the potential inside the Earth but I don't even know where to start with incorporating that. Also could someone tell me how the negative on the right hand side is cancelled. Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
Airsteve0 said:
With what velocity should a projectile be started ar the center of the Earth to reach the surface of the Earth?
At any point r < R inside the earth, the net gravitiational force from all the mass from the radius at that point to the surfce (from r to R) cancels out and is zero. I'm assuming you're supposed to figure out the gravitational potential formula for a point r within the Earth (assuming it's a sphere).

Also could someone tell me how the negative on the right hand side is cancelled.
It's supposed to be negative, and absent any other forces, given an initial condition (position and velocity), the sum of gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy will be a constant. Note that GPE becomes less negative as R increases.

1. What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be transferred or transformed from one form to another. This means that the total energy in a closed system remains constant over time.

2. Why is conservation of energy important?

Conservation of energy is important because it is a fundamental principle in physics, and it allows us to predict and understand the behavior of physical systems. It also plays a crucial role in sustainable development and the preservation of our natural resources.

3. How does the conservation of energy apply to real-life situations?

The conservation of energy applies to all real-life situations, from simple everyday activities such as turning on a light bulb to more complex processes like the Earth's water cycle. It also applies to larger scale systems, such as the conservation of energy in the universe.

4. What are some examples of energy conversion?

Energy conversion occurs in various forms, such as mechanical energy to electrical energy in a generator, chemical energy to thermal energy in a combustion reaction, and potential energy to kinetic energy in a falling object. Other examples include solar energy being converted into electrical energy through solar panels, and food being converted into mechanical energy in our bodies.

5. Can the law of conservation of energy be violated?

No, the law of conservation of energy is a fundamental principle in physics and has been proven through numerous experiments. While energy can be transformed or transferred, it cannot be created or destroyed. Any perceived violations of this law can be attributed to errors in measurements or incomplete understanding of the system.