Conservation of kinetic energy and momentum in a collision

In summary, when a white billiard ball collides with a stationary red billiard ball of equal mass, momentum is always conserved. The correct statement about the collision is that it is elastic, as both momentum and kinetic energy are conserved. Although in reality some energy may be lost as sound energy, this is typically ignored in these types of problems.
sugaJ
A white billiard ball collides with a stationary red billiard ball of equal mass. The white ball stops and the red ball moves off with the same initial velocity as the white ball. Which of the following statements about a collision between two billiard balls is correct?
a) As both momentum and kinetic energy are conserved, the collision is elastic.
b) As neither momentum nor kinetic energy are conserved, the collision is inelastic.
c) As momentum is conserve, but kinetic energy is not, the collision is elastic.
d) As kinetic energy, but not momentum is conserved, the collision is inelastic.

I am pretty sure that momentum is conserved. I don't think kinetic energy would be conserved (as some would be lost to sound energy etc) but if the ball leaves at the same velocity, my logic is telling me that all kinetic energy must be conserved and therefore the answer is a, but I'm not sure. It would be greatly appreciated if someone could help me out.

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
sugaJ said:
I am pretty sure that momentum is conserved.
Good. Momentum will always be conserved in a collision.
I don't think kinetic energy would be conserved (as some would be lost to sound energy etc) but if the ball leaves at the same velocity, my logic is telling me that all kinetic energy must be conserved and therefore the answer is a, but I'm not sure.
You are told that the velocity is the same, thus the final KE must equal the initial--KE is conserved. So yes, the answer is a.

But you are also correct that in reality some energy will be "lost" as sound energy, but that is a small effect typically ignored in these kinds of problems. Good thinking, though. :smile:

awesome thanks heeps mate.

1. What is the conservation of kinetic energy in a collision?

The conservation of kinetic energy in a collision is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total kinetic energy of a closed system remains constant before and after a collision. This means that in a collision, the total amount of kinetic energy possessed by the objects involved does not change, even if the objects themselves may be altered in some way.

2. How does the conservation of kinetic energy apply to real-life situations?

The conservation of kinetic energy can be observed in various real-life situations, such as car crashes, sports collisions, and billiard ball collisions. In these scenarios, the total kinetic energy of the system before the collision is equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision, regardless of any changes in the objects' velocities or masses.

3. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions in terms of conservation of kinetic energy?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved, meaning that the objects involved bounce off each other without any loss of kinetic energy. In an inelastic collision, however, some of the kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound, and is not conserved.

4. Does the conservation of kinetic energy also apply to the conservation of momentum in a collision?

Yes, the conservation of kinetic energy is closely related to the conservation of momentum in a collision. Both principles state that the total amount of a physical quantity (kinetic energy or momentum) remains constant in a closed system before and after a collision.

5. Is the conservation of kinetic energy and momentum applicable to all types of collisions?

The conservation of kinetic energy and momentum applies to all types of collisions, including one-dimensional, two-dimensional, and three-dimensional collisions. It is a universal principle in physics that can be used to analyze and predict the outcomes of various types of collisions.