Conservation of Linear Momentum and Energy in a Two-Block System

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
14 replies · 3K views
Hamiltonian
Messages
296
Reaction score
193
Homework Statement
The figure shows a block A of mass 9m having a smooth semicircular groove of radius R placed on a smooth horizontal surface. A block B of mass m is released from a position in groove where its radius is horizontal. Find the speed of the bigger block when the smaller block reaches its bottom-most position.
Relevant Equations
-
BMS_VOL2_C01_E01_026_Q01.png

since there is no external force in the x-direction linear momentum can be conserved. Hence I get the equation $$0 = mv^2 - 9mV^2$$
where ##v## is the velocity of B towards the right and ##V## is the velocity of A toward the left.
also the conservation of energy gives $$1/2(9m)V^2 + (1/2)mv^2 = mgR$$
solving these two equations yields ## V = (\frac {gR}{45})^{1/2}## which differs quite a bit from the correct answer. Also, I thought maybe I would have to account for the work done by the normal reaction between B and A but shouldn't they get canceled out is that assumption wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
LCSphysicist said:
Momentum is mv, and not mv²
sorry that's a typo my bado:)
I actually solved it using mv so the rest of the steps should be mathematically correct
 
Hamiltonian299792458 said:
sorry that's a typo my bado:)
I actually solved it using mv so the rest of the steps should be mathematically correct
Did you consider the fact that the little block apparently has a velocity1, but that velocity1 would can be actually a composition of its velocity and the big block velocity? Like a boat in a river?
 
LCSphysicist said:
Did you consider the fact that the little block apparently has a velocity1, but that velocity1 would can be actually a composition of its velocity and the big block velocity? Like a boat in a river?
the ##v## and ##V## that I have used are both with respect to the ground and since I conserve momentum and energy from the ground frame it shouldn't be a problem?
 
Hamiltonian299792458 said:
the ##v## and ##V## that I have used are both with respect to the ground and since I conserve momentum and energy from the ground frame it shouldn't be a problem?
Oh yes I got confused in the frame, I also found your answer.
 
LCSphysicist said:
Oh yes I got confused in the frame, I also found your answer.
the correct answer is supposed to be $$V = ( \frac {5}{4} gR)^{1/2}$$
but I don't get understand what I am doing wrong :oldconfused:
 
Hamiltonian299792458 said:
the correct answer is supposed to be $$V = ( \frac {5}{4} gR)^{1/2}$$
but I don't get understand what I am doing wrong :oldconfused:
It's like 1/45 became 1/4 5. Latex error?
 
haruspex said:
It's like 1/45 became 1/4 5. Latex error?
the answer I have got is $$V = (\frac{gR}{45})^{1/2}$$
the correct answer is $$V = (\frac{5gR}{4})^{1/2}$$
so I think it might not be a LaTeX error
 
this is the only solution I could find. but i don't get what ##v_{0}## is and how they got that equation for ##\Delta K_{cm} ##
 
Attachments
Hamiltonian299792458 said:
the answer I have got is $$V = (\frac{gR}{45})^{1/2}$$
the correct answer is $$V = (\frac{5gR}{4})^{1/2}$$
so I think it might not be a LaTeX error
@LCSphysicist and I get the same answer as you do.
The book answer is obviously wrong. It would mean the block has KE ##\frac{45}8mgR##, when the total energy available is only mgR.

I was trying to understand how the book answer could be 5/4 instead of 1/45. Sometimes it can be explained as a half-updated exercise, where some parameters have been changed but the answer not updated. In the present case, there is no rational ratio of the masses that would give 5/4.
Then it occurred to me that if someone had handwritten 1/45 more like 1/4 5, such that it was misread as ##\frac 14 5## by a typist, it could later have been typeset as ##\frac 54##. A longshot, but I couldn't think of another explanation.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Hamiltonian
Hamiltonian299792458 said:
this is the only solution I could find. but i don't get what ##v_{0}## is and how they got that equation for ##\Delta K_{cm} ##
@haruspex I attached the solution in the book above
 
Hamiltonian299792458 said:
@haruspex I attached the solution in the book above
The error is clear in the first line. It should read ##v_1=9v_2##, not ##v_1=\frac{v_0}3##.
With that correction it gives your answer.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Hamiltonian
I wanted to solve the same problem from the CoM frame and the answer I am getting is different:/

in the Com frame the kinetic energy of a two-block system is given by $$KE = \frac{1}{2} \mu V_{relative}^2$$
where ##\mu## is the reduced mass(##\mu = \frac {m1m2}{m1+ m2}##) and ##V_{relative}## is the relative velocity between the two blocks.

by applying conservation of linear momentum we know ##v = 9V##
and by applying COE $$\frac{1}{2}\mu(v - V)^2 = mgR$$
solving this gives $$V = \frac {(5gR)^{1/2}}{12}$$

so am I making an error in applying COE from the CoM frame?
 
Hamiltonian299792458 said:
I wanted to solve the same problem from the CoM frame and the answer I am getting is different:/

in the Com frame the kinetic energy of a two-block system is given by $$KE = \frac{1}{2} \mu V_{relative}^2$$
where ##\mu## is the reduced mass(##\mu = \frac {m1m2}{m1+ m2}##) and ##V_{relative}## is the relative velocity between the two blocks.

by applying conservation of linear momentum we know ##v = 9V##
and by applying COE $$\frac{1}{2}\mu(v - V)^2 = mgR$$
solving this gives $$V = \frac {(5gR)^{1/2}}{12}$$

so am I making an error in applying COE from the CoM frame?
The PDF solution had v and V measured with opposite sense, so the relative velocity was V+v. The only error in it was the one I quoted in post #13.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Hamiltonian