Conservation of Mechanical Energy

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving conservation of mechanical energy. The amusement park ride starts off as a simple pendulum and swings around in a circle with a diameter of 30 m. The question asks for the speed the ship must have at the bottom to make it to the highest point and stop with no residual speed. The equations for potential and kinetic energy are discussed, and it is determined that the mass of the ship is not necessary to solve the problem. The final answer is 24.2 m/s.
Luca169
[SOLVED] Conservation of Mechanical Energy

Homework Statement

A ride at a generic amusement park starts off by swinging like a simple pendulum until its amplitude becomes so great that it swings completely around. If the diameter of the circle is 30.0 m, what speed must the ship have at very bottom to just make it to the highest point and sit there with no residual speed.

So far, all I know is that the diameter of the circle is 30 m.

Homework Equations

I don't know how to use the fancy Latex thing to produce my equations, but I'll try my best without it.

Mi = Mf (Mechanical Energy, initial and final)
Mi = Ug + Ki (Mf would be equal to Ug + Kf)
Ug = m * g * h (Potential gravitational energy)
Ki = m*Vi^2 / 2 (Kf would be equal to m*Vf^2 / 2)

These are what I think, or rather have been using to solve the other problems associated with this problem in this particular section (Conservation of Mechanical Energy)

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know where to start, the lack of givens is confusing me. Perhaps, if I had the mass of the ship, then I could figure out the potential gravitational energy, and then find then kinetic energy equivalent, and then find the speed from there by rearranging the last equation I gave in part two. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. This is the last problem in the section, and seems to be the most challenging, as I had no problems with the preceding problems.

Physics news on Phys.org
You may not need the mass. Set up the conservation of energy equation for this problem, leaving mass just as a variable. You should not need the mass. Do you see why?

Not exactly, so I would set say x as the mass, and continue on from there?

Apparently, there is a definite answer to this problem, the answer being 24.2 m/s. :|

After plugging x into the equation, I did indeed get 24.2 m/s as my answer. Is this procedure correct?

I replicated my steps here..Ug = mgh
Ug = x kg * 9.8 m/s * 30 m
Ug = x * 294

Mf = x * 294
Mf = m*Vf^2/2
X * 294 = x * Vf^2 / 2
2x * 588 = x * Vf^2
x * 588/x = Vf^2
Vf = √588
Vf = 24.2 m/s

Last edited:
Luca169 said:
Not exactly, so I would set say x as the mass, and continue on from there?
Yes, let mass just be a variable. Personally, I'd choose m, for mass, as the variable, but x works too.

Apparently, there is a definite answer to this problem, the answer being 24.2 m/s. :|

Set up the equation for conservation of energy between the starting point and the end point, and you should see that you shouldn't need the mass. Once you do this, can you tell me why you don't need the mass?

Last edited:
I think you don't need the mass because when you are determining the final speed, you will divide by the mass, which you multiplied by when finding the gravitational potential energy, so they will cancel out?

Exactly!:smile:

So, did you get the correct, answer, or is there something else confusing you?

No

No, I got the right answer, thanks again!

What is conservation of mechanical energy?

Conservation of mechanical energy is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total amount of mechanical energy in a closed system remains constant over time. This means that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be converted from one form to another.

What is mechanical energy?

Mechanical energy is the sum of potential and kinetic energy in a system. Potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or configuration, while kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion.

How is conservation of mechanical energy applied in real life?

Conservation of mechanical energy is applied in many real-life situations, such as in the operation of simple machines like pulleys and levers, or in the motion of objects on a roller coaster or pendulum. It is also important in understanding the behavior of objects in collisions and in the functioning of energy-efficient systems.

What are some examples of conservation of mechanical energy?

An example of conservation of mechanical energy is a swinging pendulum, where potential energy is converted to kinetic energy and back as the pendulum oscillates. Another example is a roller coaster, where the potential energy at the top of a hill is converted to kinetic energy as the coaster moves down the track.

Why is conservation of mechanical energy important?

Conservation of mechanical energy is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of physical systems. It also serves as the basis for many other principles and laws in physics, such as the law of conservation of energy and the work-energy theorem.