1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of momentum and concept of center of mass.

1. Apr 9, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A frog sits on the end of a long board of length L=5m . The board rests on a frictionless horizontal table. The frog wants to jump to the opposite end of the board . What is the minimum take-off speed (in s.i. Units) i.e.,relative to ground 'v' that allows the frog to do the trick ? The board and the frog have equal masses.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

aaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg

As no external force act in the horizontal direction on the system so horizontal velocity of the frog is equal to the velocity of the plank (their directions are opposite). And also the position of the CoM of the system at final position and initial position should be same.

Now , the CoM of the plank will be displaced by length ##5/2##.

So ##t=\frac{5}{2V_{x}}##..................(1)

In this time period the from will jump and land on the plank.

So ##t=\frac{V_{y}}{5}##..............(2)

Using eq(1) and (2) we get

##V_{y}V_{x}=\frac{25}{2}##........(3)

Let the net velocity of the frog be ##v_{0}##

So ##{ V }_{ 0 }^{ 2 }={ V }_{ x }^{ 2 }+{ V }_{ y }^{ 2 }##..................(4)

So ##{ V }_{ 0 }^{ 2 }={ V }_{ x }^{ 2 }+{ \left( \frac { 25 }{ 2{ V }_{ x } } \right) }^{ 2 }##

##V_{0}## will be minimum when ##V_{0} ^{2}## will be minimum.

So differentiating the equation wrt ##V_{x}## and equating to 0 I got that this function would have minimum value when ##V_{x}=\frac { 5 }{ \sqrt { 2 } } ##. So ##V_{y}=\frac { 5 }{ \sqrt { 2 } } ##

Putting this in equation(4) I got minimum value of ##v_{0}=5m/s##.

But ##5m/s## is not in the options provided. I am doubting my solution. Am I right?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2015 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your logic that the plank moves 5/2 is sound. But, you could also see this as the frog and plank must have equal and opposite velocities in the x direction. So, the frog must jump 5/2 and the plank move 5/2.

This statement is wrong:

"In this time period the from will jump and land on the plank.

So ##t=\frac{V_{y}}{5}##..............(2)"

I'm not sure how you got that. Given gravity is involved.

Anyway, the problem is essentially to find the minimum speed for the frog to jump 5/2. Does that sound familiar?

4. Apr 9, 2015 #3

Delta²

Gold Member

he just took g=10, and the time to go up equals the time to get down equal to [itex]V_y/g[/itex] so total time [itex]t=2/10 V_y[/itex]. But yes the problem is essentially the minimum initial speed for the frog to have a horizontal displacement 5/2 when it lands.

5. Apr 9, 2015 #4
    Let the vertical velocity of the frog be ##V_{y}## So time required to reach the highest position is ##V_{y}/g##

So total time of flight would be ##2V_{y}/g##

How you proved that frog only jumps 5/2?

Why is this wrong?

6. Apr 9, 2015 #5

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I thought you had divided by the length of the plank(!), but I see from what Delta said that you are using ##g = 10 ms^{-2}##.

Your solution is almost correct, you just made a sily mistake taking square roots at the end.

7. Apr 9, 2015 #6
    Thank you PeroK :smile:. Could you please point the mistake. I am unable to find it.:oldconfused:

8. Apr 9, 2015 #7

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Apologies, my mistake. I agree with your answer.

9. Apr 9, 2015 #8

Delta²

Gold Member

what options your answer key gives?
    maybe there is slight difference due to g, maybe there is a different value given for g like g=9.81?

10. Apr 9, 2015 #9
    Thank you! :smile:

Other potions were 1,2,3 and 4. But the answer of this question is ##2m/s##. I think it is wrong.

Thank you PeroK and Delta2. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted