Conservation of momentum and energy

In summary, the bob has a kinetic energy of .5*0.5*9.8 Joules and a potential energy of sin(5.73)*1.6*.5*9.8 Joules. The momentum of the bob is .5*0.5*9.8 Joules.
royguitarboy

Homework Statement

A pendulum consists of a 0.5 kg bob attached to a string of length 1.6 m. A block of mass m rests on a horizontal frictionless surface. The pendulum is released from rest at an angle of 53° with the vertical and the bob collides elastically with the block. Following the collision, the maximum angle of the pendulum with the vertical is 5.73°. Determine the two possible values of the mass m.

Homework Equations

Conservation of momentum and energy

The Attempt at a Solution

I got 2.16 kg for one...which isn't right.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, you must show how you got that result, so we can fix it if it's wrong.

Ki(objec1t)+Ki(object2)+Ui(object1)+Ui(object2)=Kf(object1)+Kf(object2)+Uf(object1)+Uf(object2)

K= kinetic energy------U= potential energy-------i=initial------f=final
K=1/2mv^2-----------U=mgh

0+0+0+cos(53)*1.6*.5*9.8=sin(5.73)(1.6)+(.5)(cos(5.73)*1.6)+m2vf^2

Change in kinetic energy = 0 so,

(m1v1i^2+m2vi^2)+(m1v1f^2+m2v2f^2)=0 algebra...

m1(v1f^2-v1i^2)=m2(v2i^2-v2f^2) where m2=3.76/v^2 from the conversation of momentum part

then substituted

v^2=.8/3.76

0+0+0+cos(53)*1.6*.5*9.8=sin(5.73)(1.6)+(.5)(cos(5 .73)*1.6)+m2vf^2

OK, the LHS is the potential energy at the start. That should be sin(53) ( easy to remember because as the angle increases so does the pot.)
On the right we should have the final potential energy of the bob plus the kinetic E of the mass.

sin(5.73)*1.6*.5*9.8 + m2v2f^2
To get the momentum equation, work out the velocity of the bob at the lowest point, and you've got it ( after a bit of algebra)

Sorry I'm a little confused. I'm not sure how to get the velocity at the lowest point other than it being sin(0)*1.6 which would be 0. And doesn't " sin(5.73)*1.6*.5*9.8 + m2v2f^2" go into the momentum equation?

If it's easier to talk on aim, my sn is:

Royguitarboy246

Edit: Wouldn't that be cos(0)*1.6 which would then equal 1.6?

Last edited:
You get the velocity at the lowest point by equating the initial pot energy of the bob with its KE at the lowest point.

sin(57)*1.6*0.5*9.8 = 0.5*0.5*vf^2

You can get the velocity of the bob after the collision using the same approach.

And doesn't " sin(5.73)*1.6*.5*9.8 + m2v2f^2" go into the momentum equation?
No, that's energy ! The momentum equation is

0.5*( vi-vf) = m*v2 ( v2 is the speed of the mass after the collision, vi, vf are bob speeds before and after.)

I have to go now. You can do it. Use a pencil, paper and eraser, and list your quantities carefully.

1. What is the difference between conservation of momentum and energy?

Conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant, while conservation of energy states that the total energy of a closed system remains constant. Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, while energy is a measure of an object's ability to do work.

2. How are momentum and energy conserved?

Momentum is conserved because in a closed system, the total force acting on the system is equal to zero. Therefore, the total momentum remains constant. Energy is conserved because in a closed system, energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be transferred from one form to another.

3. What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum before an event (such as a collision) is equal to the total momentum after the event. This means that the total momentum of the system remains constant, regardless of any internal changes.

4. How does the conservation of momentum and energy apply to real-life situations?

Conservation of momentum and energy are fundamental laws of physics that apply to all interactions and events in the universe. They can be observed in everyday situations, such as a bouncing ball or a car accident. These laws also play a crucial role in technological advancements, such as in the design of efficient engines and machines.

5. Are there any exceptions to the conservation of momentum and energy?

In classical mechanics, conservation of momentum and energy are considered to be universal laws. However, in the field of quantum mechanics, there are some exceptions to these laws at the subatomic level. Additionally, in situations involving gravitational forces or nuclear reactions, these laws may not apply in their traditional form.