Conservation of momentum and mechanical energy

In summary, an external force does not come from the system, which means that momentum is not conserved. However, the energy required for throwing the block comes from chemical energy (the food that the person ate is converted), so the system loses energy when the block is thrown away.
moderate
(wasn't sure if I should post this in the general physics or in the "homework" forum... this question is loosely based on a problem found in a printed book, but I have modified it myself... regardless, here is the situation)

Homework Statement

A person is sliding down a frictionless incline.

The person started at rest at an initial height of i meters above the ground, and has slid down some distance (so their vertical elevation is now only 3/5*i, or some such).

At this point the person throws a block that s/he is carrying in exactly the opposite direction to their velocity.

Homework Equations

conservation of momentum, conservation of mechanical energy

The Attempt at a Solution

Momentum is conserved, and assuming that there are no losses of energy, energy should be conserved too.

But, for some reason when I try to solve the equations, I only receive complex solutions. I am stumped.

I am pasting the equations that I used below:

(values/variables:
3kg is the mass of the block thrown away
20kg is the mass of the block and person
15m is the initial height
12m is the height above ground at which the block is thrown away
c is the magnitude of the velocity of the block
f is the magnitude of the velocity of the person after the block is thrown away
n is the total mechanical energy of the system

Total mechanical energy after the block is thrown away

1/2*3*c^2+20*9.8*12+1/2*(20-3)*f^2=n

Total mechanical energy at the top of the incline

20*9.8*15=n

Conservation of momentum

20*v=(20-3)*f-c*3

The magnitude of the velocity of the block-and-human immediately before the block is thrown away

v^2=2*9.8*15

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that I know why the equations don't have non-complex solutions.

The conservation of mechanical energy can't be applied, because the force created by the human is, in fact, an external force, even though it is coming from within the system.

This force is a result of chemical changes of food into mechanical energy by the person's muscles/body.

Is this correct?

An external force does not come from the system.
However, your velocity of system does not seem correct.
Change in G.P.E=20*3*g=Increase in K.E
So, v*v=6g?

aim1732 said:
An external force does not come from the system.
However, your velocity of system does not seem correct.
Change in G.P.E=20*3*g=Increase in K.E
So, v*v=6g?

You are right - thanks for catching that (I did have the wrong height). :biggrin:

I also agree that an external force does not come from the system.

But, I don't think that mechanical energy is conserved, because the energy required for throwing the block comes from chemical energy (the food that the person ate is converted).

So,

ΔEsystem=0=ΔEmechanical + ΔEchemical

where ΔEmechanical = - ΔEchemical

That can be reduced to a simpler example.
An astronaut floating at one point in space with a velocity of 0 takes off his shirt and throws it away. Clearly, there was a change in mechanical energy (v1=0, and v1>0).

P.S. I think for the above reason I only get solutions that show that no change in velocity occurred after the block was thrown away (i.e., the system keeps going in the same direction).

e.g.:
E=2940
c=-7.66
f=7.66
v=7.66

Last edited:
The mechanical energy of the block is not conserved because there is an external force on it besides the conservative gravity.Similar arguments hold for the body throwing the block.
Try conserving the momentum instead.

But I think you were right. Energy indeed is not conserved.But don't you think a better approach will be to limit the system to the block so that we apply a now external force. In that case W(ext)=Change in mechanical energy?

1. What is the conservation of momentum?

The conservation of momentum is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total momentum of a system remains constant if there are no external forces acting on it. In simpler terms, this means that in a closed system, the total amount of momentum before an event is equal to the total amount of momentum after the event.

2. How does conservation of momentum apply to collisions?

In collisions, the total momentum of the objects involved before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This means that the sum of the mass and velocity of the objects before the collision is equal to the sum of the mass and velocity after the collision. This principle applies to both elastic and inelastic collisions.

3. What is mechanical energy?

Mechanical energy is the sum of potential energy and kinetic energy of a system. Potential energy is the energy stored in an object due to its position, while kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. In a closed system, mechanical energy is conserved, meaning it remains constant unless acted upon by an external force.

4. How does conservation of mechanical energy relate to conservation of momentum?

Conservation of mechanical energy and conservation of momentum are closely related in that they both involve the conservation of physical quantities in a closed system. In collisions, the total mechanical energy may not be conserved due to the presence of external forces, but the total momentum of the system remains constant.

5. What are some real-life examples of conservation of momentum and mechanical energy?

Some real-life examples of conservation of momentum include billiard ball collisions, car crashes, and rocket launches. Examples of conservation of mechanical energy include a pendulum swinging back and forth or a rollercoaster moving along its track. These principles are also applicable in sports, such as a baseball being hit by a bat or a skater performing a jump.