1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of momentum and wood ball problem

1. Jun 27, 2007 #1
    A 20.0 kg wood ball hangs from a 1.50 m-long wire. The maximum tension the wire can withstand without breaking is 300 N. A 0.900 kg projectile traveling horizontally hits and embeds itself in the wood ball.
    What is the largest speed this projectile can have without causing the cable to break?

What I have tried:

I tried to use the tension formula (T = mv^2/r) along with the conservation of momentum formula.
    First I tried:
    v = sqrt(Tr/m) = sqrt(300*1.5/20) = 4.74
    and then m1v1 = m2v2 = mfvf
    so .9v = 20.9 *4.74 = 110.2 m/s which was wrong

then I tried:
    v = sqrt(Tr/m) = sqrt(300*1.5/20.9) = 4.64
    so .9v = 20.9 * 4.64 = 107.8, which is also wrong

Can anyone point out where I'm making a mistake? I think the theory is sound, but I cant figure out where I'm going wrong.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2007 #2
    The NET force is F=(mv^2)/r. The two forces acting on the hanging mass(es) are gravity and the tension in the wire. I cannot see that you've accounted for the former. Go back, draw a free-body diagram with the gravitational force included, and see where your thought leads you.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?