Conservation of momentum and wood ball problem

In summary, the problem involves a 20.0 kg wood ball hanging from a 1.50 m-long wire with a maximum tension of 300 N. A 0.900 kg projectile traveling horizontally embeds itself in the wood ball and the question is asked to find the largest speed of the projectile without causing the cable to break. The attempted solutions involve using the tension formula (T = mv^2/r) and the conservation of momentum formula, but there is no accounting for the gravitational force acting on the hanging mass. A free-body diagram should be drawn to accurately solve the problem.
Amria
Problem:
A 20.0 kg wood ball hangs from a 1.50 m-long wire. The maximum tension the wire can withstand without breaking is 300 N. A 0.900 kg projectile traveling horizontally hits and embeds itself in the wood ball.
What is the largest speed this projectile can have without causing the cable to break?

What I have tried:

I tried to use the tension formula (T = mv^2/r) along with the conservation of momentum formula.
First I tried:
v = sqrt(Tr/m) = sqrt(300*1.5/20) = 4.74
and then m1v1 = m2v2 = mfvf
so .9v = 20.9 *4.74 = 110.2 m/s which was wrong

then I tried:
v = sqrt(Tr/m) = sqrt(300*1.5/20.9) = 4.64
so .9v = 20.9 * 4.64 = 107.8, which is also wrong

Can anyone point out where I'm making a mistake? I think the theory is sound, but I can't figure out where I'm going wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
The NET force is F=(mv^2)/r. The two forces acting on the hanging mass(es) are gravity and the tension in the wire. I cannot see that you've accounted for the former. Go back, draw a free-body diagram with the gravitational force included, and see where your thought leads you.

Amria said:
Problem:
A 20.0 kg wood ball hangs from a 1.50 m-long wire. The maximum tension the wire can withstand without breaking is 300 N. A 0.900 kg projectile traveling horizontally hits and embeds itself in the wood ball.
What is the largest speed this projectile can have without causing the cable to break?

What I have tried:

I tried to use the tension formula (T = mv^2/r) along with the conservation of momentum formula.
First I tried:
v = sqrt(Tr/m) = sqrt(300*1.5/20) = 4.74
and then m1v1 = m2v2 = mfvf
so .9v = 20.9 *4.74 = 110.2 m/s which was wrong

then I tried:
so .9v = 20.9 * 4.64 = 107.8, which is also wrong

Can anyone point out where I'm making a mistake? I think the theory is sound, but I can't figure out where I'm going wrong.

Last edited:

Your approach using the tension formula and conservation of momentum is correct. However, the mistake you are making is in the calculation of the final velocity of the system. The correct equation for conservation of momentum is m1v1 + m2v2 = (m1+m2)vf. In your calculation, you are using mfvf instead of (m1+m2)vf, which is incorrect. The correct calculation would be:

so (0.9+20.9)vf = 20.9 * 4.64 = 107.8
vf = 107.8/21.8 = 4.95 m/s

Therefore, the largest speed the projectile can have without causing the cable to break is 4.95 m/s.

1. What is the conservation of momentum?

The conservation of momentum is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant over time, unless acted upon by an external force. This means that the total momentum before an event must equal the total momentum after the event.

2. How does the conservation of momentum apply to the wood ball problem?

In the wood ball problem, the conservation of momentum applies because the system is closed and there are no external forces acting on it. This means that the total momentum of the wood ball and the pendulum must be conserved throughout the experiment.

3. What is the significance of the wood ball problem in terms of conservation of momentum?

The wood ball problem is a classic example used to demonstrate the conservation of momentum. It shows how the momentum of a system can be transferred between objects, and how the total momentum of the system remains constant throughout the experiment.

4. How does the mass of the wood ball affect the conservation of momentum in the wood ball problem?

The mass of the wood ball does not affect the conservation of momentum in the wood ball problem. According to the law of conservation of momentum, the total momentum of a system remains constant regardless of the individual masses of the objects within the system.

5. Can the conservation of momentum be violated in the wood ball problem?

No, the conservation of momentum cannot be violated in the wood ball problem. As long as the system is closed and there are no external forces acting on it, the total momentum must remain constant. Any changes in momentum within the system must be equal and opposite, as demonstrated by the wood ball problem.