Problem on conservation of momentum and collision

In summary: And if the final momentum is 3mv, that must mean that the final velocity is v.In summary, the problem involves three identical balls connected by light inextensible strings on a smooth horizontal surface. The middle ball, B, is given an initial velocity of v0 at t=0. The goal is to find the velocity of ball A when it collides with ball C. The relevant equations are the impulse equation, J=ΔP, and the conservation of momentum. The key constraint is that the velocity of the balls in the y direction must be equal to the initial velocity of ball B when they collide. This can be used to relate the initial and final momenta of the system and solve for the final
Titan97
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Three identical balls (of equal masses) are connected by light inextensible strings and kept on a smooth horizontal surface. The middle ball B is given a velocity ##v_0## at ##t=0##. Find the velocity of ball A when A collides with C.
collison.png

Homework Equations

Impulse ##J=\Delta P##

The Attempt at a Solution

Since there is no net external horizontal force on the system, acceleration of Centre of Mass along ##x## is zero. Also, ##v_{cm,x}=0##.

Velocity of A and B along the string should be equal to ##v\sin\theta## so that the string does not extend.
c2.png

Along ##x##, velocity of A is ##v\sin\theta\cos\theta##. If I can assume that all three balls have small radius, the final velocity of A will be equal to velocity of B which varies due to tension.

I tried using work-energy theorem but initially Tension is impulsive and the velocity of A and B increase suddenly. (I am not sure about this but I learned I can't use work-energy theorem when there is a sudden increase in velocity after reading one of the insight articles)

That leaves me with conservation of momentum of the system. Momentum of ball A or C cannot be conserved due to tension. But I am finding it difficult to get the equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Titan97 said:
If I can assume that all three balls have small radius, the final velocity of A will be equal to velocity of B which varies due to tension.
I do not understand this part.

Titan97 said:
Along ##x##, velocity of A is ##v\sin\theta\cos\theta##.
I don't believe this is correct. You are correct that the components of VA and VB must be the same in the direction of the length of string, but there can be a nonzero component in the perpendicular direction which would contribute to the x-component of VA.

Titan97 said:
I tried using work-energy theorem but initially Tension is impulsive and the velocity of A and B increase suddenly. (I am not sure about this but I learned I can't use work-energy theorem when there is a sudden increase in velocity after reading one of the insight articles)
Yes, using conservation of energy would be an assumption. If you're unsure (as am I in this case) you should solve it by other means and then check if energy was conserved.

(Edited:)
Titan97 said:
But I am finding it difficult to get the equation.
You could choose coordinates and try to write and solve equations for the motion in time, but there may be a simpler way.

Last edited:
Likes Titan97
Titan97 said:

Homework Statement

Three identical balls (of equal masses) are connected by light inextensible strings and kept on a smooth horizontal surface. The middle ball B is given a velocity ##v_0## at ##t=0##. Find the velocity of ball A when A collides with C.

You may want to forget about equations to begin with and try to figure out an important constraint that must apply when ball A collides with ball C.

Likes Titan97
Since length of string does not change, ##x^2+y^2=L^2##. then ##x\frac{dx}{dt}+y\frac{dy}{dt}=0## Is this the equation @PeroK ?
When they collide, x=0.

And,
Nathanael said:
I do not understand this part.
What I meant is, just when the ball are about to collide, the velocity of the two lower balls will be only along ##y## and will be equal to that of velocity of B.

Titan97 said:
Since length of string does not change, ##x^2+y^2=L^2##. then ##x\frac{dx}{dt}+y\frac{dy}{dt}=0## Is this the equation @PeroK ?
When they collide, x=0.

And,

What I meant is, just when the ball are about to collide, the velocity of the two lower balls will be only along ##y## and will be equal to that of velocity of B.

Your last statement is the key. The velocity of the balls (in the y direction) when they collide must be equal to the velocity of ball B.

What kind of equation are you suggesting @PeroK ?
You mean equation of trajectory of ball A and C?

Titan97 said:
What I meant is, just when the ball are about to collide, the velocity of the two lower balls will be only along ##y##
Why?
Titan97 said:
What kind of equation are you suggesting @PeroK ?
You mean equation of trajectory of ball A and C?
More likely, conservation laws.

It will have a component along x. But its velocity along y should be equal to velocity of ball B

Titan97 said:
It will have a component along x. But its velocity along y should be equal to velocity of ball B
Right.
What conservation laws can you apply?

Conservation of momentum in a direction perpendicular to string?

Titan97 said:
Conservation of momentum in a direction perpendicular to string?
Do you mean perpendicular to the direction the string takes at a particular time, or generally?
The benefit of conservation laws is that they allow you to relate the starting state to the final state directly, without having to worry about what goes on in between.
Yes, momentum will be conserved, but remember that momentum is a vector, so in a 2D set-up that is effectively two equations.
What else will be conserved?

Momentum of the system can be conserved. But for ball A, tension is an external force. So how can momentum of ball A or C can be conserved individually?

Titan97 said:
Momentum of the system can be conserved. But for ball A, tension is an external force. So how can momentum of ball A or C can be conserved individually?
I'm not suggesting their momenta are conserved individually. In terms of the unknown final velocities, write out the initial and final momenta for the total system.

Initially, its ##3mv_0## along y-axis.

Finally, its ##3mv## along y-axis and 0 along x-axis?

Titan97 said:
Initially, its ##3mv_0## along y-axis.
how do you get that?

Initially, a total mass of 3m has a velocity ##v_0## upwards.

Titan97 said:
Initially, a total mass of 3m has a velocity ##v_0## upwards.
This is not correct, only the middle ball has an initial velocity.

##v_{cm}=\frac{mv_0}{3m}##
So initial momentum is mv0/3 ?

Titan97 said:
##v_{cm}=\frac{mv_0}{3m}##
So initial momentum is mv0/3 ?
No, initially you have one moving mass of mass ##m## which is moving with velocity ##v_0##. What does that mean for the initial momentum?

Likes Titan97
Its ##mv_0##. Finally, along y-axis, its ##3mv## where ##v## is the final velocity of any ball along y-axis.

Titan97 said:
Its ##mv_0##. Finally, along y-axis, its ##3mv## where ##v## is the final velocity of any ball along y-axis.
Right. You need another equation. What else is conserved?

Likes Titan97
The velocity of the ball A and C suddenly increases. So Energy can't be conserved (just like the chain problem). But no external force acts on the center of mass. So energy of the system can be conserved.

Titan97 said:
The velocity of the ball A and C suddenly increases.

Why do you think so? The initial velocities of A and C are zero.

Likes Titan97
Tension is impulsive.

Titan97 said:
Tension is impulsive.
There is no tension at the initial moment.

Likes Titan97
I understand now.
$$mv_0=3mv$$
$$v=\frac{v_0}{3}$$
$$\frac{1}{2}mv_0^2=\frac{1}{2}mv^2+2\cdot\frac{1}{2}m(v+v_x)^2$$
$$v_x=\frac{v_0}{\sqrt{3}}$$
$$|v_A|=|v_C|=\sqrt{v^2+v_x^2}=\frac{2v_0}{3}$$

Titan97 said:
$$\frac{1}{2}mv_0^2=\frac{1}{2}mv^2+2\cdot\frac{1}{2}m(v+v_x)^2$$
That's wrong, but the next line onwards was right, so I guess that was just a transcription error.

Orodruin said:
There is no tension at the initial moment.
That isn't the critical fact, is it? Work is conserved because there's no sudden change in speed.

haruspex said:
That isn't the critical fact, is it? Work is conserved because there's no sudden change in speed.
Indeed, either argument works.

Orodruin said:
Indeed, either argument works.
I disagree.
Suppose there is a mass on a frictionless table, attached to a taut string that passes over a pulley to a suspended mass. Initially, the first mass is held in place, then released. There is nonzero tension right from the start, but acceleration is smooth, no sudden jumps in speed, so work is conserved.

haruspex said:
I disagree.
Suppose there is a mass on a frictionless table, attached to a taut string that passes over a pulley to a suspended mass. Initially, the first mass is held in place, then released. There is nonzero tension right from the start, but acceleration is smooth, no sudden jumps in speed, so work is conserved.
This in no way invalidates my argument. It is just an argument for why your argument works. In this case, there is no tension before the middle ball is hit and there is no tension immedeately after. There is no impulse change of the outer balls and therefore no violation of work conservation. The balls would have to change their speed at the instant of the hit for this to occur.

Orodruin said:
This in no way invalidates my argument. It is just an argument for why your argument works. In this case, there is no tension before the middle ball is hit and there is no tension immedeately after. There is no impulse change of the outer balls and therefore no violation of work conservation. The balls would have to change their speed at the instant of the hit for this to occur.
I think you are saying that because the tension increases gradually from zero, it follows that there is no sudden change in speed. That is true, but my quibble with your wording in post #25 is that it might give the reader the impression that such a profile for the tension is the key requisite for work conservation here. I contend that it is not. The tension could have been nonzero right from the start yet work be conserved. Moreover, tension could suddenly change from zero to nonzero yet work be conserved. The key consideration is a sudden change in speed.

Likes Titan97
So in this case, work is conserved since there is no sudden change in speed (acceleration is finite).

Titan97 said:
So in this case, work is conserved since there is no sudden change in speed (acceleration is finite).
Yes.

Likes Titan97

1. What is conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that the total momentum before a collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision.

2. How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. The formula for momentum is p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

3. What happens to momentum in a collision?

In a collision, momentum is conserved. This means that the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. However, the individual momenta of the objects involved may change.

4. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision where the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the objects involved bounce off each other without any loss of energy.

5. What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision where the total kinetic energy of the system is not conserved. Some of the kinetic energy is lost in the form of heat, sound, or deformation of the objects involved.