Conservation of Momentum Involving Friction

In summary, the problem involves a stationary block that explodes into two pieces, L and R. Both pieces slide across a frictionless floor and then encounter friction, stopping at distances dL = 0.42 m and dR = 0.48 m, respectively. Piece L has a mass of 1.6 kg and encounters a coefficient of kinetic friction μL = 0.43, while piece R has a mass that needs to be solved for and encounters a coefficient of kinetic friction μR = 0.39. Using the equations of conservation of momentum and energy, the mass of the original block is found to be 1.572 kg.
Goatsenator

Homework Statement

In the figure here, a stationary block explodes into two pieces L and R that slide across a frictionless floor and then into regions with friction, where they stop. Piece L, with a mass of 1.6 kg, encounters a coefficient of kinetic friction μL = 0.43 and slides to a stop in distance dL = 0.42 m. Piece R encounters a coefficient of kinetic friction μR = 0.39 and slides to a stop in distance dR = 0.48 m. What was the mass of the block?

2vbmqf7.gif

Homework Equations

Pi = PLf + PRf

The Attempt at a Solution

I started off assuming EmecR1 - fkdr = EmecR2 [no U involved]

then just after the explosion 1/2(mR)(vRi)^2 - (mR)(0.39)(g)(dr) = 0 [it comes to a stop]

I pull out mR and divide each side by mR to get 1/2(vRi)^2 - (.39)(g)(dr) = 0

then solve for vRi and I'm getting 1.9155 m/s

Next I do the same procedure for the Left block

1/2(1.6)(vLi)^2 - (1.6)(.43)(9.8)(.42) = 0

then vLi = -1.8814 [b/c block L is traveling in the negative x direction]

plugging into the conservation of momentum

Pi = 0 = (1.6)(-1.8814) + (mR)(1.9155)

then I get mR = 1.572 Kg but that's not right. Can anyone help me with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Goatsenator,

I don't see anything wrong with your physics or with your arithmetic. It could just be something really stupid: the problem asks for you to solve for the mass of "the block." Presumably this means the original block (before it exploded). So you'd have to add the answer you got to 1.6 kg to get the total block mass.

Oh man! I keep making these stupid mistakes! -_- I guess they could have been a little clearer. Oh well. Yeah that was right thank you for the help!

Goatsenator said:
Oh man! I keep making these stupid mistakes! -_- I guess they could have been a little clearer. Oh well. Yeah that was right thank you for the help!

You're welcome! :smile:

Your approach to solving this problem is correct, however there seems to be an error in your calculation for the mass of the block. The correct solution is as follows:

First, we can use the conservation of momentum equation, Pi = PLf + PRf, to find the initial momentum of the block before it explodes. Since the block is initially at rest, the initial momentum is equal to zero.

Next, we can use the equations for the final momentum of the two pieces L and R, which are given by PLf = mLvLf and PRf = mRvRf. Substituting these equations into the conservation of momentum equation, we get:

0 = mLvLf + mRvRf

Next, we can use the equations for the final velocity of each piece, which are given by vLf = vLi + aLt and vRf = vRi + aRt. Here, aL and aR represent the acceleration of each piece due to friction, and t represents the time it takes for each piece to come to a stop. Substituting these equations into the previous equation, we get:

0 = mL(vLi + aLt) + mR(vRi + aRt)

Since both pieces come to a stop, their final velocities are equal to zero, so we can simplify the equation to:

0 = mL(vLi + aLt) + mR(vRi + aRt) = -mLaLdL - mRaRdR

We can then solve for the mass of the block using the given values for aL, aR, dL, and dR:

mL = 1.6 kg
aL = μLg = 0.43(9.8 m/s^2) = 4.214 m/s^2
dL = 0.42 m
mR = m (unknown)
aR = μRg = 0.39(9.8 m/s^2) = 3.822 m/s^2
dR = 0.48 m

Plugging in these values and solving for m, we get:

0 = -1.6(4.214)(0.42) - m(3.822)(0.48)
m = 1.6(4.214)(0.42) / (3.822)(0.48)
m

What is conservation of momentum involving friction?

Conservation of momentum involving friction is a principle in physics that states that the total momentum of a system before and after a collision or interaction will remain constant, as long as there is no external force acting on the system. This means that the total amount of momentum in the system is conserved, even if individual objects in the system may experience changes in their momentum due to frictional forces.

How does friction affect conservation of momentum?

Friction is a force that acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion, and it can cause a decrease in an object's momentum. In a closed system, where there are no external forces acting, the decrease in momentum due to friction will be offset by an increase in momentum of other objects in the system, resulting in the conservation of total momentum.

What is an example of conservation of momentum involving friction?

A common example of conservation of momentum involving friction is a car crash. When two cars collide, the momentum of each car changes due to the force of friction between their tires and the road. However, the total momentum of the system (the two cars) remains the same before and after the collision, as long as no external forces (such as a wall or another car) are involved.

Does the coefficient of friction affect conservation of momentum?

Yes, the coefficient of friction can affect conservation of momentum. The coefficient of friction is a measure of how much friction is present between two surfaces, and a higher coefficient of friction will cause a greater decrease in momentum. However, as long as the system is closed and there are no external forces, the total momentum will still be conserved.

What are some real-world applications of conservation of momentum involving friction?

Conservation of momentum involving friction has many real-world applications, including car safety and designing roller coasters. In car safety, engineers use the principles of conservation of momentum and friction to design crumple zones and airbags to help reduce the impact force of a crash. In roller coaster design, the principles of conservation of momentum and friction are used to ensure the safety of riders and to control the speed and motion of the roller coaster.