Conservation of Momentum Involving Friction

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 6K views
Goatsenator
Messages
18
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


In the figure here, a stationary block explodes into two pieces L and R that slide across a frictionless floor and then into regions with friction, where they stop. Piece L, with a mass of 1.6 kg, encounters a coefficient of kinetic friction μL = 0.43 and slides to a stop in distance dL = 0.42 m. Piece R encounters a coefficient of kinetic friction μR = 0.39 and slides to a stop in distance dR = 0.48 m. What was the mass of the block?

2vbmqf7.gif



Homework Equations



Pi = PLf + PRf


The Attempt at a Solution




I started off assuming EmecR1 - fkdr = EmecR2 [no U involved]

then just after the explosion 1/2(mR)(vRi)^2 - (mR)(0.39)(g)(dr) = 0 [it comes to a stop]

I pull out mR and divide each side by mR to get 1/2(vRi)^2 - (.39)(g)(dr) = 0

then solve for vRi and I'm getting 1.9155 m/s


Next I do the same procedure for the Left block

1/2(1.6)(vLi)^2 - (1.6)(.43)(9.8)(.42) = 0

then vLi = -1.8814 [b/c block L is traveling in the negative x direction]


plugging into the conservation of momentum

Pi = 0 = (1.6)(-1.8814) + (mR)(1.9155)

then I get mR = 1.572 Kg but that's not right. Can anyone help me with this?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Goatsenator,

I don't see anything wrong with your physics or with your arithmetic. It could just be something really stupid: the problem asks for you to solve for the mass of "the block." Presumably this means the original block (before it exploded). So you'd have to add the answer you got to 1.6 kg to get the total block mass.
 
Oh man! I keep making these stupid mistakes! -_- I guess they could have been a little clearer. Oh well. Yeah that was right thank you for the help!
 
Goatsenator said:
Oh man! I keep making these stupid mistakes! -_- I guess they could have been a little clearer. Oh well. Yeah that was right thank you for the help!

You're welcome! :smile: