Conservation of Momentum of a box of mass

In summary, Box A has momentum 3.02 kg*m/s to the right before the collision, and 0.798 kg*m/s to the left. Box B has momentum 2.56 kg*m/s to the right after the collision, and 0.665 kg*m/s to the left.
blue_lilly

Homework Statement

Box A of mass 1.20 kg is sliding to the right across a frictionless table at a speed of 2.52 m/s. Box A collides with Box B which has a mass of 2.56 kg, and Box A bounces straight back to the left with a speed of 0.665 m/s.
A) What is the momentum of Box A before the collision?
3.02 kg*m/s To the Right Correct Answer
B) What is the momentum of Box A after the collision?
0.798 kg*m/s Correct: To the Left Correct Answer
C) What is the momentum of Box B after the collision? This is the one I need help with!

Homework Equations

Momentum(P)=mass(kg)*Velocity(kg*m/s)
Momentum(P-before)=Momentum(P-after)

The Attempt at a Solution

A) P=m*V=(1.20 kg)(2.52 m/s)=3.02 kg*m/s To the right CORRECT
B) P=m*V=(1.20 kg)(.665 m/s)=.798 kg*m/s To the Left CORRECT
This is the part I am having trouble with
C) Momentum(before)=Momentum(after); P=m*V
PBeforeA+PBeforeB=PAfterA+PAfterB
[(1.20 kg)(2.52 m/s)]+[(2.56 kg)(0 m/s)] = [(1.20 kg)(.665 m/s)]+[]
[3.02 kg*m/s]+[0 kg*m/s] = [.798 kg*m/s]+[PAfterB]
[(3.02 kg*m/s)/(.798 kg*m/s)] = PAfterB
PAfterB = [(3.02 kg*m/s)/(.798 kg*m/s)]
PAfterB = 3.78 kg*m/s : To the Right

The answer is incorrect. I am assuming the [To the right] portion is correct because BoxA and BoxB collided; this means that they are asserting equal and opposite force on each other and because BoxA went to the Left, BoxB must go to the Right.

This leaves the incorrect portion to be the Momentum of BoxB after the collision. I double checked my math, a numerous amount of time, so I don't know where I am going wrong.

Help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
blue_lilly said:
[(1.20 kg)(2.52 m/s)]+[(2.56 kg)(0 m/s)] = [(1.20 kg)(.665 m/s)]+[]
Decide which direction, left or right, is positive. Say it's right. If I tell you box A has momentum +0.8kgm/s at some point, which way is it moving?

Likes 1 person
haruspex said:
Decide which direction, left or right, is positive. Say it's right. If I tell you box A has momentum +0.8kgm/s at some point, which way is it moving?

So if I say the right is positive, then anytime a box is moving to the right-there would be a + sign and if it was moving to the left, a -sign.

[+3.02 kg*m/s]+[0 kg*m/s] = [-.798 kg*m/s]+[+PAfterB]
[(+3.02 kg*m/s)-(-.798 kg*m/s)] = +PAfterB
+PAfterB = [(+3.02 kg*m/s)-(-.798 kg*m/s)]
PAfterB = 3.818 kg*m/s To The Right

Is this correct?

blue_lilly said:
PAfterB = 3.818 kg*m/s To The Right
Looks right.
(You also did some very strange things later on in the OP, like dividing instead of subtracting. But you got it right this time.)

Likes 1 person
haruspex said:
Looks right.
(You also did some very strange things later on in the OP, like dividing instead of subtracting. But you got it right this time.)

Thank you so much, that makes more sense!

I caught the dividing error after I posted the question to the forum! C:

1. What is the definition of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant, regardless of any external forces acting on the system.

2. How does momentum relate to the mass and velocity of an object?

Momentum is directly proportional to an object's mass and velocity. This means that an object with a larger mass or a higher velocity will have a greater momentum.

3. How does the conservation of momentum apply to a box of mass in motion?

If a box of mass is in motion, its momentum will remain constant unless acted upon by an external force. This means that the box will continue moving at a constant velocity, unless a force is applied to change its momentum.

4. What are some real-life examples of conservation of momentum?

One example is a billiard game, where the balls will continue moving at a constant velocity after they collide with each other. Another example is a rocket launching into space, where the rocket's momentum remains constant as it is propelled forward by the force of the engines.

5. How can conservation of momentum be applied in everyday life?

Conservation of momentum can be seen in many everyday activities, such as throwing a ball or riding a bike. It is also important in car accidents, where the momentum of the vehicles involved must be conserved to determine the force of impact.