1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of momentum problem with a bullet and stationary block

1. Dec 22, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A bullet with a mass of 6.00 g is fired through a 1.25 kg block of wood on a frictionless surface. The initial speed of the bullet is 896m/s, and the speed of the bullet after it exists the block is 435 m/s. At what speed does the block move after the bullet passes through it?

2. Relevant equations
    I think I have the corect momentum, but the answer for the acceleration of the block seems a bit too easy. Is it right, or am I way off?

3. The attempt at a solution
    First I drew a free body digram. The diagram has the bullet on the left, with its velocity and mass (Mass=.006 Kg Velocity=896 m/s), and the stationary block of wood with its mass and velocity (Mass=1.25 Kg Velocity=0 m/s) .

Since this is a collision problem, I figured I should find the momentum using the formula Mass*Velocity=Momentum. So, for the bullet... .006 Kg * 896m/s= 5.376 Kg*m/s (initial momentum) and... .006 Kg * 435 m/s= 2.610 (final momentum). For the block of wood... 1.25 Kg * 0 m/s= 0 Kg*m/s (Initial momentum) and... 1.25 Kg * 461 m/s (the difference of the bullet's Initial and Final velocities)= 576 Kg * m/s

I realize this is momentum not the block's velocity. I'm not sure what else to do because the only other logical answer is 896-435= 461 m/s and that just seems way to easy for a physics problem. Or am I over thinking this?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

This is good.
    That last step isn't correct. Why would you multiply the change in the bullet's velocity by the mass of the block?

Instead, set up a conservation of momentum equation:
    Intial momentum (of bullet and block) = Final momentum (of bullet and block)

Initially, you just have the bullet moving; After the collision, the bullet and the block move. Set up the equation and solve for the speed of the block.

4. Dec 23, 2008 #3
    So your saying that what I shoud do is this:

5.367+0=2.610+x
    5.367=2.610+x
    2.757 Kg*m/s=x

Where X equals the blocks momentum.

2.206(Kg*m/s)/1.25(Kg)=
    2.2056m/s.

Using significant figures it would be 2.206.

Or am I still wrong?

5. Dec 23, 2008 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Your method is exactly correct. Two small problems:
    (1) Check the digits that I highlighted; you have them transposed. (Fix that and redo the calculation.)
    (2) Your final answer should be rounded to 3 significant figures, since your data is only given to 3 digits.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?