Conservation of Momentum question

In summary, the conversation discusses two carts on a frictionless track with a compressed spring between them. The smaller cart has a mass of m and the larger cart has a mass of 4.65m. After the explosion, the smaller cart moves at a velocity of +8.71 m/s. Using the conservation of momentum formula, the velocity of the larger cart is found to be -8.71 m/s. In the second part, the mass of the smaller cart is changed to 6.36 kg and the energy stored in the spring before the explosion is found to be (answer) J. With a spring constant of 276 N/m, the distance the spring was compressed before the explosion is found to be x (answer
David112234

Homework Statement

Two carts sit on a horizontal, frictionless track; the spring between them is compressed. The small cart has mass m, and the mass of the larger cart is M = 4.65m.
NOTE: Every velocity needs magnitude and direction (given by the sign).

a) Suppose the carts are initially at rest, and after the "explosion" the smaller cart is moving at velocity v = +8.71 m/s.
- Find the velocity of the larger cart. V = (answer) m/s
- Assume now that the mass of the smaller cart is m = 6.36 kg. Assuming there is no loss of energy: find the energy stored in the spring before the explosion. Wk = (answer)J
- If the spring has spring constant k = 276 N/m: find x, the distance the spring was compressed before the "explosion".

Homework Equations

F=kx
PE(spring) = 1/2 kx^2
MV+MV=MV+MV

3. The Attempt at a Solution

part a) I know that if both carts have the same mass then both will be moving away from each other at the same speed after the spring explodes, so it would be -8.71 . But one cart has higher mass, so one cart will move faster away. So I use the conservation of momentum formula
MV+4.65M*O = M8.71+4.65M*V
what do I do, solve for V? I cant, the algebra does not work out, am I missing a formula?

Physics news on Phys.org
David112234 said:
MV+4.65M*O = M8.71+4.65M*V
what do I do, solve for V? I cant, the algebra does not work out, am I missing a formula?
Why do you have a V on the left?
Note that every term has a factor m. What does that allow you to do?

1. What is the conservation of momentum?

The conservation of momentum is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant, meaning that the total amount of motion in a system remains the same unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How is momentum conserved?

Momentum is conserved through interactions between objects, such as collisions or explosions. In these interactions, the total momentum before the event is equal to the total momentum after the event, as long as there are no external forces involved.

3. What is an example of conservation of momentum in action?

An example of conservation of momentum is a billiard ball collision. When two billiard balls collide, the total momentum of the system remains constant, meaning that the momentum of the first ball before the collision is equal to the combined momentum of both balls after the collision.

4. Does conservation of momentum apply to all types of motion?

Yes, conservation of momentum applies to all types of motion, including linear, rotational, and angular motion. This law is a fundamental principle in understanding the behavior of objects in motion.

5. Can momentum be lost or gained?

No, momentum cannot be lost or gained. According to the law of conservation of momentum, the total amount of momentum in a closed system remains constant, meaning that momentum can only be transferred or redistributed between objects within the system.