Conservation of momentum - trampoline

In summary: I think that it might be a good model for vertical jumping, but there might be some weak points3. yes, momentum is conserved
Pottesur
English isn't my main language, so I apologize in advance if something is unclear.

We are leaving air resistance out of this problem!

1. Homework Statement

We are going to describe the force F from the trampoline on the Joe as F = kx, k is a spring constant. This is a model.

1. Joe drops from a window at 3 meters above the trampoline, hits the trampoline with stiff legs, and bounces back up. How high up does Joe go now?

2. Based on your own experience with trampolines: is this model a good model for vertical trampoline jumping? Are there any sides to the model which are particularly weak?

3. Is momentum (size and direction) conserved when Joe hits the trampoline?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Conservation of energy. Joe will have potential energy as he drops because of gravity (mgh), which will transfer to kinetic energy as he falls towards the trampoline. When he hits the trampoline, the kinetic energy will be zero and the energy will be stored as elastic potential energy in the springs. He bounces back up to three meters when the elastic potential energy is released to kinetic energy.

2. Wouldn't some of the energy in "the real world" be lost to heat and/or sound? And the spring constant is probably different from trampoline to trampoline. Not quite sure what the right answer here is.

3. This is where I've really been struggling, particularly with what I am supposed to view as my system. If I look at Joe as the system, momentum is not conserved because there are external forces acting on him, right? When he is in mid-air gravity is acting on him, and when he hits the trampoline there is a normal force acting on him. Are both these forces considered external forces? But if I look at velocity, and conservation of energy, his velocity will be the same just before and after the jump. But because they differ in direction, is this also a reason momentum isn't conserved? Or is it a consequence of external forces acting on Joe? What if I consider the person and the Earth as a system, is momentum then conserved?

I am finding momentum quite hard to understand. Hopefully someone here can help me out :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Pottesur said:
English isn't my main language, so I apologize in advance if something is unclear.

We are leaving air resistance out of this problem!

1. Homework Statement

We are going to describe the force F from the trampoline on the Joe as F = kx, k is a spring constant. This is a model.

1. Joe drops from a window at 3 meters above the trampoline, hits the trampoline with stiff legs, and bounces back up. How high up does Joe go now?

2. Based on your own experience with trampolines: is this model a good model for vertical trampoline jumping? Are there any sides to the model which are particularly weak?

3. Is momentum (size and direction) conserved when Joe hits the trampoline?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Conservation of energy. Joe will have potential energy as he drops because of gravity (mgh), which will transfer to kinetic energy as he falls towards the trampoline. When he hits the trampoline, the kinetic energy will be zero and the energy will be stored as elastic potential energy in the springs. He bounces back up to three meters when the elastic potential energy is released to kinetic energy.

2. Wouldn't some of the energy in "the real world" be lost to heat and/or sound? And the spring constant is probably different from trampoline to trampoline. Not quite sure what the right answer here is.

3. This is where I've really been struggling, particularly with what I am supposed to view as my system. If I look at Joe as the system, momentum is not conserved because there are external forces acting on him, right? When he is in mid-air gravity is acting on him, and when he hits the trampoline there is a normal force acting on him. Are both these forces considered external forces? But if I look at velocity, and conservation of energy, his velocity will be the same just before and after the jump. But because they differ in direction, is this also a reason momentum isn't conserved? Or is it a consequence of external forces acting on Joe? What if I consider the person and the Earth as a system, is momentum then conserved?

I am finding momentum quite hard to understand. Hopefully someone here can help me out :)

You have analysed the issue fairly well. You noticed that momentum is a vector, so has a direction. That's good. Therefore, Joe's momentum is reversed by a trampoline jump.

Yes, if you include the Earth, then momentum of the Joe-Earth system is conserved.

Likes Pottesur
Hello Pottessur, ##\qquad## :welcome: ##\qquad## !

your english is excellent.
1. agree
2. agree. And different spring constants ##k## can easily be accommodated
3. agree. If you want momentum conservation, all the forces have to be within the system

[edit] slow typist. PeroK was a lot faster :smile: .

Likes Pottesur
Pottesur said:
momentum quite hard to understand
If it helps: the time derivative of momentum is force $$\vec {\bf F} = {d\vec{{\bf p}}\over dt}$$

Likes Pottesur
Ahh, thank you guys so much for your feedback! I really appreciate it. I now have a bit more confidence in myself, haha :biggrin:

Pottesur said:
When he hits the trampoline, the kinetic energy will be zero
Well, not straightaway. It is gradually converted to elastic PE.
Pottesur said:
the spring constant is probably different from trampoline to trampoline.
Yes, but that is not a flaw in the model. The model encompasses that possibility.
Pottesur said:
Wouldn't some of the energy in "the real world" be lost to heat and/or sound?
Yes, heat mostly, but how would you have to amend the F=kx model?
There's also air resistance.

1. What is the conservation of momentum in relation to a trampoline?

The conservation of momentum is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total momentum of a system remains constant in the absence of external forces. This means that in a closed system such as a trampoline, the total momentum of all objects involved (e.g. the person jumping and the trampoline) will remain the same before and after the interaction.

2. How does the conservation of momentum apply to a person jumping on a trampoline?

When a person jumps on a trampoline, their initial downward momentum is transferred to the trampoline as they compress the surface. The trampoline then exerts an equal and opposite force, propelling the person upwards. The total momentum before and after the jump is the same, demonstrating the conservation of momentum.

3. What factors affect the conservation of momentum on a trampoline?

The conservation of momentum on a trampoline is affected by several factors, including the mass and velocity of the person jumping, the elasticity of the trampoline, and external forces such as air resistance. These factors can influence the transfer of momentum and affect the height and trajectory of the person's jump.

4. How does the conservation of momentum relate to safety on a trampoline?

The conservation of momentum is an important consideration for safety on a trampoline. If a person's momentum is not properly transferred to the trampoline or if external forces are not accounted for, it can result in a loss of balance and potential injury. Understanding and applying the principles of conservation of momentum can help ensure safe and enjoyable trampoline use.

5. Can the conservation of momentum be violated on a trampoline?

No, the conservation of momentum is a fundamental law of physics and cannot be violated on a trampoline or any other closed system. While some may perceive a person jumping higher or lower than expected as a violation, this is due to other factors such as the elasticity of the trampoline or the person's technique, and does not contradict the principle of conservation of momentum.