Conservative Forces and work done

In summary, the problem involves a single constant force acting on a 4.00 kg particle and requires the calculation of the work done by that force as the particle moves from the origin to a specific point. The solution involves finding the potential energy function using the conservative nature of the force and using it to calculate the work done.
cinderblock

Homework Statement

A single constant force F = (3i + 5j) N acts on a 4.00 kg particle. Calculate the work done by this force if the particle moves from the origin to the point having the vector position r = (2i - 3j)m.

Homework Equations

W= Fr
Wg= mgy1-mgy2
Wc= Ui - Uf

The Attempt at a Solution

First I converted the friction and position coordinates to a single number.
Then I tried to simply multiply the force and position but it was incorrect.
The equations my book gave me was for gravity, spring, and potential but I feel like these equations don't fit in with the problem. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org
cinderblock said:

Homework Statement

A single constant force F = (3i + 5j) N acts on a 4.00 kg particle. Calculate the work done by this force if the particle moves from the origin to the point having the vector position r = (2i - 3j)m.

Homework Equations

W= Fr
Wg= mgy1-mgy2
Wc= Ui - Uf

The Attempt at a Solution

First I converted the friction and position coordinates to a single number.
Then I tried to simply multiply the force and position but it was incorrect.
The equations my book gave me was for gravity, spring, and potential but I feel like these equations don't fit in with the problem. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for your time!

The force you've provided is a conservative force since [itex] \rm \overrightarrow{\bigtriangledown} x \overrightarrow{F} =0[/itex], so you can find the potential energy function using

[itex] U = - \int \overrightarrow{F}_c \cdot d\overrightarrow{r} = -\int (F_x dx + F_y dy +F_z dz) +C[/itex] and
then find the work, [itex] W_c = -\Delta U[/itex] .

Last edited:

1. What are conservative forces?

Conservative forces are those that do not depend on the path taken by an object, but only on its initial and final positions. These forces can be represented by potential energy functions and obey the principle of conservation of energy.

2. What is the work done by a conservative force?

The work done by a conservative force is zero, as the force is independent of the path taken by the object. This means that the total mechanical energy of the object remains constant.

3. How is the work done by a conservative force calculated?

The work done by a conservative force is equal to the negative change in potential energy. Mathematically, it can be represented as W = -ΔPE.

4. Are all forces conservative?

No, not all forces are conservative. Non-conservative forces, such as friction and air resistance, depend on the path taken by an object and cause a loss of mechanical energy.

5. Can conservative forces do positive work?

Yes, conservative forces can do positive work if the initial potential energy is greater than the final potential energy. In this case, the object gains mechanical energy and the work done by the conservative force is positive.