Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conserved Charges of Stress Energy Tensor

1. Apr 3, 2014 #1
    Hello, Hi There

I am trying to obtain the relations of the conserved charges of the stress tensor, it has 4, one is the hamiltonian and the other three are the momentum components.

[itex]\vec{P}=-\int d^3y \sum_i{(-\pi_i(y) \nabla \phi_i(y))}[/itex]

And i have to prove the conmutators

[itex][\phi_i(x),\vec{P}]=-i \nabla\phi(x)[/itex] and [itex][\pi_i(x),\vec{P}]=i \nabla \pi_i(x)[/itex]

I got the first one just fine

[itex][\phi_i(x),\vec{P}]=-\int d^3 y \sum_j{[\phi_i(x),\pi_j(y)]\nabla \phi_j(y)}=
    -\int d^3 y \sum_j{i \delta_{ij} \delta^{(3)}(\vec{x}-\vec{y}) \nabla \phi_j(y)}=-i\nabla\phi_i(x) [/itex]

But the second one is driving me crazy

[itex][\pi(x),\vec{P}]=-\int d^3 y \sum_j{[\pi_i(x),\pi_j(y)]\nabla \phi_j(y)} [/itex]

That conmutator is zero, ¿what i am doing wrong? how can those don't conmute.

Also, whats the meaning of this relations

Thans for the time

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2014 #2
    Why are you taking the ##\phi## part out in the second case,in first commutation it works because ##\phi## will commute with other ##\phi## but in the second case it will be ##\pi## which will be taken outside because ##\pi's## will commute.Use by part in second commutation to shift the derivative on ##\pi## and then it's easy.

4. Apr 3, 2014 #3
    Yes you are right andrien, i can't believe i didnt notice it myself, many thanks!, i was just considering it as a number for not clear reasons, thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook