Consevation of energy in collisions

  • Thread starter Thread starter rugapark
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Collisions Energy
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
rugapark
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
I am going through some questions for resits in August, and I have no idea what this question is wanting me to explain :

"Briefly discuss the circumstances under which (i) momentum, (ii) kinetic energy and (iii) total energy are conserved in collisions between two bodies. [3]"

it's only a 3 marker, so I'm sure it's not wanting an essay, but I just don't even know where to start... HELP!

Cheers guys
 
Physics news on Phys.org
rugapark said:
I am going through some questions for resits in August, and I have no idea what this question is wanting me to explain :

"Briefly discuss the circumstances under which (i) momentum, (ii) kinetic energy and (iii) total energy are conserved in collisions between two bodies. [3]"

it's only a 3 marker, so I'm sure it's not wanting an essay, but I just don't even know where to start... HELP!

Cheers guys

Thread moved to Homework Help. Here's a hint, rugapark. Check out the terms elastic collision and inelastic collision, and see if that info helps. You can read about them at wikipedia.org, or in your textbook and course materials. Does that get you going again?
 
rugapark said:
I am going through some questions for resits in August, and I have no idea what this question is wanting me to explain :

"Briefly discuss the circumstances under which (i) momentum, (ii) kinetic energy and (iii) total energy are conserved in collisions between two bodies. [3]"

it's only a 3 marker, so I'm sure it's not wanting an essay, but I just don't even know where to start... HELP!

Cheers guys

Don't take my word, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but wouldn't the only case where all three are conserved is in an environment where there is no friction?
 
so would i be right in saying,

"If the collision between the two bodies is an elastic collision, all momentum, kinetic energy and total energy will be conserved as elastic collisions do not convert any original energy forms into another."

I am struggling to understand this, but I really am determined to get it soon.. so please excuse me if any of my comments seem a little... "crappy" :)

thanks!
 
rugapark said:
so would i be right in saying,

"If the collision between the two bodies is an elastic collision, all momentum, kinetic energy and total energy will be conserved as elastic collisions do not convert any original energy forms into another."

I am struggling to understand this, but I really am determined to get it soon.. so please excuse me if any of my comments seem a little... "crappy" :)

thanks!

Yes, that would be right.