1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Considering college, what to study beforehand?

1. Aug 12, 2007 #1
    First let me say that I have never considered myself to be particularly strong in mathematics. This is primarily due to the fact that I did not take any of it seriously in high school.

5 years later, I actually find myself quite interested. I have decided that I would like to try my hand at starting a degree in physics at the local community college.

It wouldn't be until sometime next year, so I have about 6 months to buy books and really try to get my math skills up to a level that will be appropriate for surviving college material.

My question to you guys is, what specific area of math should I educate myself in?

The college courses being with Calculus 1, so obviously I'm going to be studying everything from pre-algebra, to more advanced algebra, and then finally buy some pre-calculus books.

Am I missing anything?

Should I brush up on geometry or trigonometry as well?

Anything suggestions on what I should specifically be studying PRIOR to starting classes would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2007 #2

you'll need trigonometry.

for a brief review of precalc algebra and trig, and a very lucid introduction to the concepts of calculus, i'd recommend "the complete idiot's guide to calculus." i loved it back when i used it before my first calculus class.
  4. Aug 12, 2007 #3
    Thanks. Will definitely look into that.
  5. Aug 12, 2007 #4
    I have found the following website useful when it came to notes that were easy to understand and digest. I used it for Calc III and DEs. There is also a section about algebra and some review on the Calc I section. It's free and you can download the whole set of notes as one pdf file or individual chapters.

Algebra: http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/Alg/Alg.aspx

Check out the first section of the notes, "Review"

This is good too: http://library.thinkquest.org/20991/calc/precalc.html

I would suggest you pay a visit to a library. The bigger ones usually have a decent collection of math books.

It gives you some good pointers. I found it very helpful.
  6. Aug 12, 2007 #5
    hey! I followed a similar path to yours and it worked out great. Lots of algebra and trig.

Know your functions!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?