Considering REU without research experience

Considering REU without "research" experience

Hello PF,

I know REU's are starting (or at least most of them) but I'm planning for the next summer. I researched a couple and read about what they consider for admission to their program. Most of them list "Research Experience" as such. I myself have yet to get into an undergrad research position.

My interests really lie in nanoelectronics but I haven't yet reached my upper division physics classes (chem/physics double major) so I just read about the field from books and try to see what its all about. While I can understand most of the concepts, the technical speak about DFT, Schrodingers Equation, and band theory and the like are a bit cloudy. Most of the research (i guess if you can call it that) i am doing is just reading and trying to come up with my own ideas and asking myself some questions.
I was wondering if I could list this type of work down when applying or if it would just be better to say "no research".

Thanks PF

Answers and Replies

Hello PF,

I know REU's are starting (or at least most of them) but I'm planning for the next summer. I researched a couple and read about what they consider for admission to their program. Most of them list "Research Experience" as such. I myself have yet to get into an undergrad research position.

My interests really lie in nanoelectronics but I haven't yet reached my upper division physics classes (chem/physics double major) so I just read about the field from books and try to see what its all about. While I can understand most of the concepts, the technical speak about DFT, Schrodingers Equation, and band theory and the like are a bit cloudy. Most of the research (i guess if you can call it that) i am doing is just reading and trying to come up with my own ideas and asking myself some questions.
I was wondering if I could list this type of work down when applying or if it would just be better to say "no research".

Thanks PF
My REU may have been my first research experience. I did some small things here and there before the REU, but nothing significant.

The school may ask for any previous research experience, but I doubt they require any previous research experience for their applicants.

I've been told that its a lot of hit and miss type stuff. Does anyone know when the dates for the next REU usually come out? I'm guessing sometime in the beginning of fall?

thanks for your reply

You can list self-study in your application, but I definitely wouldn't list it as research experience (because it's not). But you can always thread it into your cover letter or application, since it does show interest in going beyond just the coursework. This way I don't think it can hurt, as I'm pretty sure they actually look for people like that. So just don't state you've done something you haven't (i.e. research) and you'll be fine.

You can list self-study in your application, but I definitely wouldn't list it as research experience (because it's not). But you can always thread it into your cover letter or application, since it does show interest in going beyond just the coursework. This way I don't think it can hurt, as I'm pretty sure they actually look for people like that. So just don't state you've done something you haven't (i.e. research) and you'll be fine.
Just what I was about to ask thank you.

I've been told that its a lot of hit and miss type stuff. Does anyone know when the dates for the next REU usually come out? I'm guessing sometime in the beginning of fall?

thanks for your reply
If I recall correctly, apps for REUs are usually due around February or March. You can always visit the websites for the REUs you're interested in and see when the apps were due this year. Chances are, next year's apps will be due around the same time.