Considering Transfer - UCF to FIU

• Thread starter osnarf
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is considering transferring from UCF to FIU for personal reasons and is seeking information about the engineering and physics departments at FIU. They are also concerned about the impact of their transfer on grad school and career opportunities. Another person, a current EE/Physics major at FIU, provides insights about the prevalence of research and co-op opportunities, the level of seriousness and knowledge of students, and the quality of labs and equipment. They also mention that most EE majors tend to go into the workforce after graduation, while most physics majors intend to go to grad school. The individual also asks about the recent tuition increase for STEM majors at FIU, which the other person speculates is due to the higher costs associated with those programs
osnarf
Hello everyone,

I'm considering transferring from UCF (double major in Aerospace Engineering and Electrical Engineering) to FIU (double major in Physics and Electrical Engineering). The transfer would be due to personal reasons, not anything academic-related. The change from AE to physics is because, the way credits transfer, it would set me way back to transfer into FIU's Mechanical Engineering: Aerospace Track program, compared to transferring into Physics. Since I've always wanted to study physics and originally had it my a major, this really isn't a big deal to me. I still don't know exactly what I want to do in graduate school and after.

I was wondering if anybody has personal experience with both of these schools and could compare their engineering departments, or tell me about FIU's physics department?

I don't want to transfer if it is going to limit my grad school/career options, but as far as I understand it, the effort you put into undergrad and your research activities are much more important than what school you actually went to (please correct me if I am mistaken).

Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
osnarf said:
Hello everyone,

I'm considering transferring from UCF (double major in Aerospace Engineering and Electrical Engineering) to FIU (double major in Physics and Electrical Engineering). The transfer would be due to personal reasons, not anything academic-related. The change from AE to physics is because, the way credits transfer, it would set me way back to transfer into FIU's Mechanical Engineering: Aerospace Track program, compared to transferring into Physics. Since I've always wanted to study physics and originally had it my a major, this really isn't a big deal to me. I still don't know exactly what I want to do in graduate school and after.

I was wondering if anybody has personal experience with both of these schools and could compare their engineering departments, or tell me about FIU's physics department?

I don't want to transfer if it is going to limit my grad school/career options, but as far as I understand it, the effort you put into undergrad and your research activities are much more important than what school you actually went to (please correct me if I am mistaken).

Thanks for your help.

What do you want to know about FIU? I'm an EE/Physics major there.

Thanks for the reply clope, you sound like the perfect person to ask.

I would like to know such as how prevalent undergraduate research/co-ops are, the general level of seriousness/knowledge/etc of the majority of students, the quality of labs/lab equipment - pretty much your general take on the programs.

If you happen to know what most students do (or if not - intend to do) after finishing undrad, that would be great to know as well.

Thanks again

osnarf said:
Thanks for the reply clope, you sound like the perfect person to ask.

I would like to know such as how prevalent undergraduate research/co-ops are, the general level of seriousness/knowledge/etc of the majority of students, the quality of labs/lab equipment - pretty much your general take on the programs.

If you happen to know what most students do (or if not - intend to do) after finishing undrad, that would be great to know as well.

Thanks again

Plenty of people get into research internships here, I know 2 engineers who got into Boeing internships, few people who've done research in MIT, Vanderbilt, Berkeley, abroad in Brazil or Germany; one girl just got into the UMichigian applied physics program, I know one guy who got into MIT's EE grad program.
We've got plenty of impressive people who are serious about their studies; thought the teachers are very hit or miss with both EE and physics (though sometimes you don't have a choice in the matter). Alot of the EE and physics lab equipment is outdated IMO, but the school is very slow to fund STEM across the board (in fact they opted to increase tuition on STEM majors specifically). They do make due though, I'm doing research in plasma physics ATM and our lab collaborates with labs in Princeton and London so we're doing ok.
Most the EE's intend to go to work after undergrad, most of the physics majors intend to go grad school.

Thanks for all the information; it was very helpful. Do you know why tuition was raised specifically for STEM students? That seems odd...

osnarf said:
Thanks for all the information; it was very helpful. Do you know why tuition was raised specifically for STEM students? That seems odd...

I'm not sure of all the details, but I imagine that we're more expensive than other students and they don't want to hamper on the business, law, and other students that don't warrant such expensive equipment and labs, etc.

Related to Considering Transfer - UCF to FIU

1. What are the key factors to consider when transferring from UCF to FIU?

Some key factors to consider when transferring from UCF to FIU include academic requirements, financial aid availability, campus location, and program offerings.

2. Can I transfer all of my credits from UCF to FIU?

In most cases, yes. However, it is important to check with both schools to ensure that credits will transfer seamlessly and count towards your intended major at FIU.

3. Are there any special requirements for transferring to FIU?

Yes, FIU requires transfer students to have completed at least 60 credit hours and meet certain GPA requirements. Additionally, some programs may have specific requirements for transfer students.

4. How do I apply for transfer to FIU?

To apply for transfer to FIU, you will need to submit an application through the school's admissions website. You will also need to submit official transcripts, standardized test scores, and any other required materials.

5. What resources are available to help with the transfer process?

Both UCF and FIU have resources available to help with the transfer process. This may include transfer advisors, transfer orientation programs, and online resources to help you navigate the process smoothly.