Constant Acceleration and Resolution of Forces

In summary, the problem involves a 5kg block of concrete on a smooth horizontal surface being pulled by a force A at 45° from the horizontal. The block moves 10m in 5 seconds, and the goal is to find the acceleration of the block, the magnitude of force A, and the normal reaction force. Using various equations, the acceleration is found to be 0.8 m/s^2, force A is 5.63N, and the normal reaction force is 45.02N.
FaraDazed

Homework Statement

A block of concrete 5kg is initially at rest on a smooth (frictionless) horizontal surface. It is then pulled along by a constant force A, inclined at 45° from the horizontal. In the first 5 seconds of motion, the block moves a distance of 10m.

A: Find the acceleration of the body
B: Find the magnitude of the force A
C: Find the normal reaction force

Homework Equations

[itex]
v=u+at\\
s=\frac{1}{2}(u+v)t\\
s=ut+\frac{1}{2}at^2\\
v^2=u^2+2as\\
F=ma\\
R=mg\\
[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I wasn't quite sure how to start but with the known variables I started with equation 2 from above and then the rest is dependent of whether I started it correctly.
[itex]
Part A:\\
s=\frac{1}{2}(u+v)t\\
10=0.5(0+v)5\\
10=2.5v\\
v=4\\
.\\
v=u+at\\
4=0+a5\\
a=\frac{4}{5}=0.8\\
.\\
Part B:\\
Acos45=ma\\
Acos45=5 \times 0.8\\
0.71A= 4\\
A=\frac{4}{0.71}=5.63N\\
.\\
Part C:\\
R+Asin45=mg\\
R+5.63sin45=5 \times 9.8\\
R+3.98=49\\
R=49-3.98=45.02N
[/itex]

The figures I got just seem low to me, any help or advice/pointers is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me.

Doc Al said:
Looks good to me.

OK, thank you :) .

What is constant acceleration?

Constant acceleration is when an object experiences the same rate of change in velocity over time. This means that its velocity increases or decreases by the same amount every second.

What is the formula for constant acceleration?

The formula for constant acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time.

What is resolution of forces?

Resolution of forces is the process of breaking down a single force into its components in different directions. This allows us to analyze the effects of each component separately.

What is the difference between constant acceleration and uniform motion?

Constant acceleration involves a change in velocity over time, while uniform motion involves constant velocity. In other words, an object experiencing constant acceleration will have a changing speed, while an object in uniform motion will have a constant speed.

How is constant acceleration related to Newton's second law of motion?

Newton's second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. Since constant acceleration is a measure of how an object's velocity changes over time, it is directly related to the net force acting on the object according to Newton's second law.