Constant acceleration car problem

In summary, the problem involves a car traveling at 85 km/h and decelerating at 4.2 m/s^2, approaching a car moving at a constant speed of 60 km/h. The question is whether the cars will collide and, if so, at what relative speed. The distance between the cars at their closest approach is also of interest. The equations x=x0+v0t+(1/2)at^2 and t=(v-v0)/a can be used to solve the problem.
acg7160

Homework Statement

You're speeding at 85 km/h when you notice that you're only 10m behind the car in front of you, which is moving at the legal speed limit of 60 km/h. You slam on your brakes, and your car decelerates at 4.2 m/s^2. Assuming the car in front of you continues at constant speed, will you collide? if so, at what relative speed? if not what will the distance between the cars at their closest approach?

Homework Equations

I know I have to use x=x0+v0t+(1/2)at^2 but I am not sure exactly what numbers go where.

The Attempt at a Solution

For car 1 I think x0=0 ; v0=85 km/h (converting to m/s=23.6) and a=-4.2 (decelerating) and for car 2 x0=10 ; v0=60 km/h or 16.67 m/s and a=0? so do i plug those into two separate equations of my x equation in the relevant equations part and then solve for t? and then does t show if they collide or not?

I am not good at physics and need help please!

Physics news on Phys.org
Please help!

acg7160 said:

Homework Statement

You're speeding at 85 km/h when you notice that you're only 10m behind the car in front of you, which is moving at the legal speed limit of 60 km/h. You slam on your brakes, and your car decelerates at 4.2 m/s^2. Assuming the car in front of you continues at constant speed, will you collide? if so, at what relative speed? if not what will the distance between the cars at their closest approach?

Homework Equations

I know I have to use x=x0+v0t+(1/2)at^2 but I am not sure exactly what numbers go where.

The Attempt at a Solution

For car 1 I think x0=0 ; v0=85 km/h (converting to m/s=23.6) and a=-4.2 (decelerating) and for car 2 x0=10 ; v0=60 km/h or 16.67 m/s and a=0? so do i plug those into two separate equations of my x equation in the relevant equations part and then solve for t? and then does t show if they collide or not?

I am not good at physics and need help please!

I think I'd start by calculating how long it takes in time for the faster car to slow to the speed of the slower car, and then figure out what their positions are at that time. That will tell you if they hit or not. Then I would go on with the rest of the problem.

1. What is a constant acceleration car problem?

A constant acceleration car problem is a physics concept that involves determining the motion of a car or any object with a constant acceleration. It involves finding the car's displacement, velocity, and acceleration at different time intervals as it moves with a constant acceleration.

2. How do you solve a constant acceleration car problem?

To solve a constant acceleration car problem, you need to use the equations of motion, which are:
- Displacement (x) = initial velocity (v0) x time (t) + 1/2 x acceleration (a) x time (t)2
- Velocity (v) = initial velocity (v0) + acceleration (a) x time (t)
- Acceleration (a) = final velocity (v) - initial velocity (v0) / time (t)
You will need to plug in the given values and use algebraic methods to solve for the unknown variable.

3. What is the difference between average acceleration and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is the overall change in velocity over a period of time, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time, while instantaneous acceleration is calculated by taking the derivative of the velocity function.

4. What factors can affect the acceleration of a car?

The acceleration of a car can be affected by factors such as the engine power, weight of the car, air resistance, and friction. The engine power determines how much force the car can produce, while weight affects the car's ability to overcome friction. Air resistance can also slow down the car's acceleration, and friction between the car's tires and the road can also affect its acceleration.

5. How does a constant acceleration car problem relate to real-world situations?

Constant acceleration car problems can relate to real-world situations, such as calculating the motion of a car on a straight road with a constant acceleration or determining the acceleration of a rollercoaster as it moves along a track. These problems also have practical applications in engineering and transportation, where understanding the motion of objects is crucial for designing and optimizing systems.