Do Braking Distances Prevent a Collision in This Scenario?

• Thread starter limonade
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cars
In summary, the car in front of you will not collide with you, as their initial velocity is 60 km/h while yours is 85 km/h. At the closest approach, the cars will be 10 meters apart.
limonade

Homework Statement

You're speeding at 85 km/h when you notice that you're only 10m behind the car in front of you, which is moving at the legal speed limit of 60 km/h. You slam on your brakes, and your car decelerates at 4.2 m/s^2. Assuming the car in front of you continues at constant speed, will you collide? if so, at what relative speed? if not what will the distance between the cars at their closest approach?

2. Homework Equations

Equations of motion for constant acceleration

The Attempt at a Solution

Please tell me if my reasoning is correct or where I am making a mistake.

I set the position where my car is when I start braking to be t=0, and this position to be x0=0

My initial velocity is 85km/h=23.61 m/s

My acceleration is -4.2 m/s2

For the car I may possibly collide with,

their initial velocity is 60 km/h= 16.6 m/sec

and their acceleration is zero

To come to a complete stop, my final velocity will be zero.

Using v=v0+at

0=23.6 m/s -4.2m/s2t
and solving for t I get t=5.62 seconds to stop completely.

Next I tried to find my position in this time relative to where I started at x0=0

using x=x0+.5(v0+v)t

x=0+.5(23.6)(5.62)

=66.32 meters

Then I tried to see where car #2 would be in the same amount of time
using x=x0+v0t+.5at2

and I get x=10+16.67(5.62)+0

where last term goes to zero as car #2 is not accelerating.

x= 103.69 meters relative to the origin

Since the position of the two cars is not equal in 5.62 seconds, the two cars don't collide.

Physics news on Phys.org
"To come to a complete stop, my final velocity will be zero."

But you don't need to come to a complete stop, do you? You just need to slow down to the speed of the car ahead of you.

yeah. Never mind X/

Sorry

Related to Do Braking Distances Prevent a Collision in This Scenario?

1. Will the speed of the cars affect the likelihood of collision?

The speed of the cars does play a significant role in the likelihood of collision. The faster the cars are moving, the less time there is to react and prevent a collision. This is why it is important for drivers to adhere to speed limits and maintain a safe distance from other vehicles.

2. Are there any external factors that could increase the chances of a collision?

Yes, there are several external factors that can increase the chances of a collision between two cars. These can include road conditions, weather conditions, and driver behavior such as distracted driving or driving under the influence.

3. Can the size and weight of the cars affect the outcome of a collision?

Absolutely. The size and weight of the cars can greatly impact the severity of a collision. Larger and heavier cars have more momentum and therefore can cause more damage in a collision. This is why it's important to drive vehicles that are appropriate for your needs and to follow safe driving practices.

4. Is there a specific distance that should be maintained between two cars to prevent a collision?

The recommended safe following distance between two cars is at least 3 seconds. This means that the car in front of you should pass a fixed object before you count to 3, and you should not reach that same fixed object until after you count to 3. However, in certain situations such as high-speed driving, this distance should be increased.

5. Can technology in cars help prevent collisions?

Yes, there are various technologies in cars that can help prevent collisions. These include features such as automatic emergency braking, lane departure warning, and blind spot monitoring. However, it's important for drivers to still remain attentive and practice safe driving habits to avoid collisions.