1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Constant acceleration problem with two objects

1. Sep 13, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A train pulls away from a station with a constant acceleration of 0.40 m/s^2. A passenger arrives at a point next to the track 6.0 s after the end of the train has passed the very same point. What is the slowest constant speed at which she can run and still catch the train? On a single graph, plot the position versus time curves for both the train and the passenger.

2. Relevant equations
    x-train(t)=.20t^2
    x-passenger(t)=vt+x_o

3. The attempt at a solution
    I initially supposed that x-train=x-passenger at t=6.0 s but that's clearly wrong. The answer at the back of the book is that v=4.8 m/s but I'm not sure why.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2010 #2
    Does the passenger need to catch up to the train before a certain distance, like before the end of the train station?

4. Sep 13, 2010 #3
    I don't think so, as it is not given.

5. Sep 13, 2010 #4
    Okay. So you need to be careful when setting up your equations here. I will give you a hint: The position of the passenger at time t is equal to the position of the train at time (t-6).

6. Sep 13, 2010 #5
    So, wouldn't it be the other way around? Train(t)=.20t^2; Passenger(t)=v(t-6)

7. Sep 13, 2010 #6

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

When passenger reaches the starting point, the velocity of train is

u = at and xo = 1/2*at^2.

If v is the velocity of the passenger, in time t1 distance traveled by her to catch the train is x = v*t1.

During that time the distance traveled by the train is = x1 = u*t1 + 1.2*a*t1^2

Now x = xo + x1.

v*t1 = 1/2*a*t^2 + a*t*t1 + 1/2*a*t1^2

v = (1/2*a*t^2)/t1 + (a*t*t1)/t1 + (1/2*a*t1^2)/t1

Are you familiar with the differentiation?

If yes, find differentiation of v with respect to t1 and equate it to zero to find the minimum velocity.

8. Sep 13, 2010 #7
    rl.blat, can you take an ordinary derivative of that expression? t and t1 are different variables? Also, uh I solved the problem. I minimized v-passenger=x-train(t')-x-passenger(6)/(t'-6)=.20(t')^2/(t'-6) where t' is the time she gets on the train. That function has a relative minimum at t'=12 s if I did my calculus right.

9. Sep 13, 2010 #8

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Your answer is correct. In my solution t is constant and is equal to 6 s. There are only two variables, v and t1.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook