Help understanding this speed problem

• Thread starter Violagirl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary, the problem involves finding the minimum constant speed at which a passenger can run and still catch a train that is accelerating at 0.40 m/s from rest. The position versus time curves for both the train and passenger can be plotted on a single graph to help visualize the problem. To solve for the passenger's speed, an equation can be created for their distance from the start at time t. The position of the train and passenger can then be set equal to each other to find the average speed of the train relative to the passenger's velocity. This is based on the fact that the passenger reaches the same point at the same time the train leaves from rest, represented by the equation xp=vp(t-Δt). Ultimately
Violagirl

Homework Statement

2. A train pulls away from a station with a constant acceleration of 0.40 m/s.
A passenger arrives at a point next to the track 6.0 s after the end of the train has started
from rest at that very same point. What is the minimum constant speed at which she can
run and still catch the train? On a single graph, plot the position versus time curves for
both the train and the passenger.

Homework Equations

x(t)=x0+v0t+1/2at2

v(t)=v0+at

v2-v02=2aΔx

v (average) = v0+v(t)/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having a heck of a time trying to understand the correct way to set this problem up. I know that we need to find the constant speed of the passenger. I also know that the position and velocity of the train need to be solved relative to the position of the passenger and then we set figure out how fast the passenger needs to move relative to the train.

For the train, I know we solve for its position from the equation:

x(t)=x0+v0t+1/2at2

I know we also need to solve for the postion of the passenger. However, this is where I'm stuck. I'm also confused as to how to properly set the train and passenger equal to one another to solve for the final speed of the passenger. Any help is very much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried plotting the position versus time curves for both the (end of the) train and the passenger? This will help, I think.

Create an unknown for the passenger's speed and obtain an equation for the passenger's distance from start at time t. Now you have an equation for the motion of each. What variables have to match up for the passenger to board the train?

I have not. This is from an old quiz for which I still have not figured out how my professor solved it.

Here is what he did:

xtrainc = atrain/2 t2c

xp.c.(tp.c=vp.c(tc-Δt)-Where does this equation come from?

From here, he set the position of the train and passenger equal to one another and then calculated the average speed of the train relative to the passenger's velocity. I guess I'm not right now where that second equation above comes from and how or why you can make the train and passenger equal to one another. Is it because the passenger comes out and to the same point at the same time the train leaves from rest?

c=critical conditions

Violagirl said:
xp.c.(tp.c=vp.c(tc-Δt)-Where does this equation come from?
c=critical conditions
Seems unnecessarily complicated notation. Presumably it means, at any time t > Δt:
xp=vp(t-Δt)
So what two equations do you have involving xc and tc, the position and time of catching the train?

What is the definition of speed?

Speed is the measure of how fast an object is moving. It is usually expressed in units of distance per time, such as meters per second or kilometers per hour.

What is the difference between speed and velocity?

While speed refers to how fast an object is moving, velocity takes into account both the speed and direction of the object's motion. In other words, velocity is a vector quantity, while speed is a scalar quantity.

How do you calculate average speed?

The formula for average speed is total distance traveled divided by total time taken. For example, if you traveled 100 miles in 2 hours, your average speed would be 50 miles per hour.

What factors can affect an object's speed?

An object's speed can be affected by factors such as its mass, the force applied to it, and the presence of any external forces like friction or air resistance.

How does speed relate to acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity. In other words, it measures how quickly an object's speed is changing. If an object is accelerating, its speed will either increase or decrease, depending on the direction of the acceleration.