1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Constant of motion, Maxwell's equations

1. Dec 31, 2012 #1

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [itex]F_{ab}[/itex] be the Faraday Tensor and [itex]\xi ^{a}[/itex] a killing vector field. Suppose that the lie derivative [itex]\mathcal{L} _{\xi }F_{ab} = \xi ^{c}\triangledown _{c}F_{ab} + F_{cb}\triangledown _{a}\xi ^{c} + F_{ac}\triangledown _{b}\xi ^{c} = 0[/itex]. Show that [itex]F_{ab}\xi ^{b} = \triangledown _{a}\varphi [/itex] for some smooth scalar field [itex]\varphi [/itex] and that [itex]I = mu^{a}\xi _{a} + q\varphi [/itex] is a constant of motion for a charged particle of mass m, charge q, and 4 - velocity u.

2. Relevant equations
    Maxwell's equations: [itex]\triangledown ^{a}F_{ab} = 0[/itex], [itex]\triangledown _{[a}F_{bc] } = 0[/itex]. Equations of motion for charged particle / Lorentz force: [itex]mu^{a}\triangledown _{a}u^{b} = qF^{b}_{c}u^{c}[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution
    In order to show that [itex]F_{ab}\xi ^{b} = \triangledown _{a}\varphi [/itex] for some smooth scalar field [itex]\varphi [/itex], we want to show that the one - form field [itex]F_{ab}\xi ^{b}[/itex] is closed i.e. [itex]\triangledown _{a}(F_{bc}\xi ^{c}) - \triangledown _{b}(F_{ac}\xi ^{c}) = 0[/itex]. We find that [itex]\triangledown _{a}(F_{bc}\xi ^{c}) - \triangledown _{b}(F_{ac}\xi ^{c}) = (\xi ^{c}\triangledown _{a}F_{bc} - \xi ^{c}\triangledown _{b}F_{ac} - F_{cb}\triangledown _{a}\xi ^{c} - F_{ac}\triangledown _{b}\xi ^{c})[/itex]. Using the second of Maxwell's equations, [itex]\triangledown _{[a}F_{bc] } = 0[/itex], we find that [itex]\triangledown _{a}(F_{bc}\xi ^{c}) - \triangledown _{b}(F_{ac}\xi ^{c}) = (-\xi ^{c}\triangledown _{c}F_{ab} - F_{cb}\triangledown _{a}\xi ^{c} - F_{ac}\triangledown _{b}\xi ^{c}) = 0[/itex] because this is the expression of the lie derivative which we are told vanishes. Thus we can conclude that [itex]F_{ab}\xi ^{b} = \triangledown _{a}\varphi [/itex] for some smooth scalar field [itex]\varphi [/itex]. In order to show that [itex]I = mu^{a}\xi _{a} + q\varphi [/itex] is a constant of motion along the worldline of this charged particle subject to the Lorentz force, we must show [itex]\triangledown _{u}I = u^{b}\triangledown _{b}I = 0[/itex]. We find that [itex]u^{b}\triangledown _{b}I = u^{b}\triangledown _{b}(mu^{a}\xi _{a} + q\varphi ) = mu^{b}u^{a}\triangledown _{b}\xi _{a} + mu^{b}\xi _{a}\triangledown _{b}u^{a} + qu^{b}\triangledown _{b}\varphi [/itex]. Since [itex]u^{b}u^{a}[/itex] is symmetric in the indices and [itex]\triangledown _{b}\xi _{a}[/itex] is anti - symmetric in the indices, on account of [itex]\xi [/itex] being a killing field, their contraction must vanish so we get [itex]u^{b}\triangledown _{b}I = mu^{b}\xi _{a}\triangledown _{b}u^{a} + qu^{b}\triangledown _{b}\varphi = mu^{b}\xi _{a}\triangledown _{b}u^{a} + qu^{b}F_{bc}\xi ^{c} = mu^{b}\xi _{c}\triangledown _{b}u^{c} - qu^{b}F_{cb}\xi ^{c} = \xi _{c}(mu^{b}\triangledown _{b}u^{c} - qu^{b}F_{b}^{c}) = 0[/itex]. Can anyone check if this is the right way to do it because I'm not too sure; it seems fine however I never had to use anywhere the first of Maxwell's equations [itex]\triangledown ^{a}F_{ab} = 0[/itex] even though we are given it. Maybe it is superfluous information for the purposes of this problem? Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2012 #2
    It looks ok! Maybe the unused equation was given for sake of completness, letting you decide if it will be used or not.

4. Dec 31, 2012 #3

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Ok thank you mate!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook