Kerr Black Hole: Superradiance Flux - Show Negative when 0<ω<mΩH

• I
  • Thread starter ergospherical
  • Start date
In summary, the time-averaged flux of ##J^a = -{T^a}_b \xi^b## across the horizon of a Kerr black hole is negative when ##0 \leq \omega \leq m\Omega_H ##. This is shown using the equation ##-2\nabla_{[a} (F_{b]c} w^c) = L_w F_{ab}## and the fact that ##dF = 0##, i.e. ##\nabla_{[a} F_{bc]} = 0##. The tensor ##T_{ab} = \nabla_a \phi \nabla_b \phi - \dfrac{
ergospherical
b) Show that the time averaged flux of ##J^a = -{T^a}_b \xi^b## across the horizon of a Kerr black hole is negative when ##0 \leq \omega \leq m\Omega_H ##. Given that ##dF = 0## i.e. ##\nabla_{[a} F_{bc]} = 0##,\begin{align*}
-2\nabla_{[a} (F_{b]c} w^c) &= F_{ac} \nabla_b w^c + F_{cb} \nabla_a w^c - w^c (\nabla_b F_{ca} + \nabla_a F_{bc}) \\
&= F_{ac} \nabla_b w^c + F_{cb} \nabla_a w^c + w^c \nabla_c F_{ab} \\
&= L_w F_{ab}
\end{align*}It is hinted to use this equation to relate ##F_{ab} \xi^b## to ##F_{ab} \chi^b##, but how? The tensor ##T## is ##T_{ab} = \nabla_a \phi \nabla_b \phi - \dfrac{1}{2} g_{ab} (\nabla_c \phi \nabla^c \phi + m^2 \phi^2)## so the time-averaged flux is ##\langle J_{a} (-\chi^a) \rangle = \langle (\chi^a \nabla_a \phi)(\xi^b \nabla_b \phi) \rangle##

edit: ##\xi = \dfrac{\partial}{\partial t}## and ##\chi = \dfrac{\partial}{\partial \phi}##

Physics news on Phys.org
Haha, well I'm glad I'm not the only one who found the hint to be cryptic. 😂
Can you see how to do it? I might try again tomorrow but I've spent slightly too long fiddling around, lol.

1. What is a Kerr Black Hole?

A Kerr Black Hole is a type of black hole that is characterized by its angular momentum. It is a rotating black hole, meaning that it has a non-zero spin, and is described by the Kerr solution in the theory of general relativity.

2. What is Superradiance Flux?

Superradiance Flux is a phenomenon that occurs near a rotating black hole, where the energy of a wave or particle is amplified as it interacts with the black hole's rotational energy. This can lead to a negative flux, meaning that more energy is being emitted from the black hole than is being absorbed.

3. What does it mean when the Superradiance Flux is negative?

A negative Superradiance Flux indicates that the black hole is losing energy, which is not expected for a black hole. This can occur when the frequency of the wave or particle interacting with the black hole is within a certain range, known as the superradiant range.

4. Why does the Superradiance Flux show negative when 0<ω<mΩH?

This is because the frequency of the wave or particle is within the superradiant range, where energy is being amplified by the black hole's rotation. As a result, the black hole is losing energy, leading to a negative flux.

5. What is the significance of the Superradiance Flux in relation to black holes?

The Superradiance Flux is important because it allows us to study the properties of black holes, such as their spin and mass. It also plays a role in various astrophysical phenomena, such as the formation of black hole accretion disks and the emission of gravitational waves.