Maxwell's equations differential forms

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of transforming the curved space-time homogenous and inhomogeneous Maxwell equations into differential forms. The key steps involve using the exterior derivative and the hodge dual to simplify the equations and arrive at the final equation of (d*F) = 4\pi *j. There is also a discussion on the choice of derivative operator and the anti-symmetry of the hodge dual of the EM field strength tensor.
WannabeNewton
Science Advisor

Homework Statement

I have to take the curved space - time homogenous and inhomogeneous maxwell equations, [itex]\triangledown ^{a}F_{ab} = -4\pi j_{b}[/itex] and [itex]\triangledown _{[a}F_{bc]} = 0[/itex], and show they can be put in terms of differential forms as [itex]dF = 0[/itex] and [itex] d*F = 4\pi *j[/itex] (here [itex]*[/itex] is the hodge dual defined for any p - form [itex]\alpha [/itex] as [itex](*\alpha )_{b_1...b_{n-p}} = \frac{1}{p!}\alpha ^{a_1...a_p}\epsilon _{a_1...a_pb_1...b_{n-p}}[/itex] where [itex]n[/itex] is the dimension of the manifold and [itex]\epsilon [/itex] is the natural volume element for the manifold i.e. a totally anti - symmetric nowhere vanishing continuous tensor field).

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the exterior derivative [itex]d[/itex] is independent of the choice of derivative operator, I chose for convenience the unique metric compatible derivative operator [itex]\triangledown _{a}[/itex] because [itex]\triangledown _{c}\epsilon _{a_1...a_p} = 0[/itex] identically and this simplifies the calculation. The homogenous ones are trivial since [itex](dF)_{ba_1a_2} = 3\triangledown_{[b}F_{a_1a_2]} = 0[/itex]. The inhomogeneous ones are really starting to annoy me :frown:. This is 4 dimensional space - time so we have that [itex]*F_{b_1b_2} = \frac{1}{2}F^{a_1a_2}\epsilon _{a_1a_2b_1b_2}[/itex] hence [itex](d*F)_{cb_1b_2} = 3\triangledown _{[c}*F_{b_1b_2]} = \triangledown _{c}*F_{b_1b_2} - \triangledown _{b_1}*F_{cb_2} + \triangledown _{b_2}*F_{cb_1}[/itex] (where I have assumed the anti - symmetry of the hodge dual of the EM field strength tensor to combine terms). Plugging in the equation for the hodge dual gives us [itex](d*F)_{cb_1b_2} = \frac{1}{2}(\epsilon _{a_1a_2b_1b_2}\triangledown _{c}F^{a_1a_2} - \epsilon _{a_1a_2cb_2}\triangledown _{b_1}F^{a_1a_2} + \epsilon _{a_1a_2cb_1}\triangledown _{b_2}F^{a_1a_2})[/itex]. On the other hand, [itex]4\pi (*j)_{b_1b_2b_3} = 4\pi j^{a_1}\epsilon _{a_1b_1b_2b_3} = \triangledown _{r}F^{a_1r}\epsilon _{a_1b_1b_2b_3}[/itex]. Has my work been correct so far? This is where I'm stuck because the two different equations (the one for the hodge dual of the 4 - current density and the one for the exterior derivative of the hodge dual of the EM tensor) are being summed over totally different indices, as you can see, so I cannot begin to even see how to resolve the two so they can be equal.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ah ok I got it. It was the form of the final pair of equations written above that threw me off with their unsettling nature and the stagnation stemmed from the equation we started with. In fact, if we had instead started with [itex]*(d*F) = -4\pi j[/itex], instead of what the book asked to start with, then the solution would have been much more obvious and saved me some tine :). Anyways, we take [itex](d*F)_{cb_1b_2} = (\epsilon _{a_1a_2b_1b_2}\triangledown _{c}F^{a_1a_2} - \epsilon _{a_1a_2cb_2}\triangledown _{b_1}F^{a_1a_2} + \epsilon _{a_1a_2cb_1}\triangledown _{b_2}F^{a_1a_2})[/itex] and multiply both sides by [itex]\epsilon ^{b_1b_2b_3c}[/itex] to get [itex]\epsilon ^{b_1b_2b_3c}(d*F)_{b_1b_2b_3} = (\delta ^{[b_3 c]}_{a_1a_2}\triangledown _{b_3}F^{a_1a_2} - \delta ^{[b_2 c]}_{a_1a_2}\triangledown _{b_2}F^{a_1a_2} + \delta ^{[b_1 c]}_{a_1a_2}\triangledown _{b_1}F^{a_1a_2}) = \triangledown _{b_3}F^{b_3c} - \triangledown _{b_2}F^{b_2c} + \triangledown _{b_1}F^{b_1c} = \triangledown _{b_1}F^{b_1c} = -4\pi j^{c}[/itex] therefore [itex]\epsilon _{b_1b_2b_3c}(d*F)^{b_1b_2b_3} = *(d*F)_c = -4\pi j_{c}[/itex] so [itex]**(d*F)_{a_1a_2a_3} = (-1)^{1 + 2(4 - 2)}(d*F)_{a_1a_2a_3} = -(d*F)_{a_1a_2a_3} = -4\pi *j_{a_1a_2a_3}[/itex] thus [itex](d*F)= 4\pi *j[/itex]

1. What are Maxwell's equations differential forms?

Maxwell's equations differential forms are a set of four partial differential equations that describe the fundamental laws of electromagnetism. They were first formulated by James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century and are used to mathematically describe the behavior and interactions of electric and magnetic fields.

2. What are the benefits of using differential forms to express Maxwell's equations?

Using differential forms to express Maxwell's equations allows for a more elegant and concise representation of the laws of electromagnetism. It also allows for a more geometric interpretation of the equations, making them easier to visualize and understand.

3. How are Maxwell's equations differential forms different from the original vector form of the equations?

The original vector form of Maxwell's equations uses vector calculus to describe the relationships between electric and magnetic fields. In contrast, Maxwell's equations in differential form use differential calculus, specifically exterior calculus, to express the same relationships. This results in a more compact and elegant representation of the equations.

4. What are the applications of Maxwell's equations differential forms?

Maxwell's equations differential forms have many applications in the field of electromagnetism, including the design and analysis of electrical circuits, electromagnetic wave propagation, and the development of new technologies such as antennas and wireless communication systems.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using differential forms for Maxwell's equations?

One limitation of using differential forms for Maxwell's equations is that it may be more challenging for individuals who are not familiar with differential calculus to understand and work with. Additionally, some applications may still require the use of the original vector form of the equations, so it is essential to have a good understanding of both forms.