Constant velocity and work done

In summary: Yes, although more conventionally we say that the work done on a mass equals the gain in its potential plus kinetic energy.
Samia qureshi
Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
if a body is moving with constant velocity. Its work done will be? in my point of view Work done is change in energy. Constant velocity means no change in energy. So work done is zero am i right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, in the absence of fields the work done is equal to the difference of Kinetic energies at two different points: $$W=\Delta KE.$$ Since the velocity is constant, then $$\Delta KE=0.$$

Likes Samia qureshi
Mr-R said:
Yes, in the absence of fields the work done is equal to the difference of Kinetic energies at two different points: $$W=\Delta KE.$$ Since the velocity is constant, then $$\Delta KE=0.$$

Thank you :smile:

Perhaps read up on the Work Energy Theorem. This says that the work done by all forces acting on a particle equals the change in the kinetic energy of the particle. In some cases you have to consider the negative work done by gravity or air resistance.

Likes Samia qureshi and Nidum
I think I should have written in the absence of non-conservative fields :)

Likes Samia qureshi
CWatters said:
Perhaps read up on the Work Energy Theorem. This says that the work done by all forces acting on a particle equals the change in the kinetic energy of the particle. In some cases you have to consider the negative work done by gravity or air resistance.

thank you :)

Mr-R said:
I think I should have written in the absence of non-conservative fields :)
That still leaves out gravity, if the object is moving partially or wholly in a gravitational field. And gravity is conservative!

Likes Samia qureshi, Chestermiller and Mr-R
rude man said:
That still leaves out gravity, if the object is moving partially or wholly in a gravitational field. And gravity is conservative!
You are absolutely right. The work-energy theorem is true for general forces regardless of them being conservative or not (depends on the resultant force). $$\Sigma W=\Delta KE$$ where $$\Sigma=W_c+W_{nc}$$ Conservative and non conservative, respectively. Is this correct?

Likes rude man
Mr-R said:
You are absolutely right. The work-energy theorem is true for general forces regardless of them being conservative or not (depends on the resultant force). $$\Sigma W=\Delta KE$$ where $$\Sigma=W_c+W_{nc}$$ Conservative and non conservative, respectively. Is this correct?
Yes, although more conventionally we say that the work done on a mass equals the gain in its potential plus kinetic energy. You have essentially conflated p.e. into work but I guess that is OK too.

Likes Samia qureshi

What is constant velocity?

Constant velocity is the motion of an object at a steady speed in a straight line, with no changes in direction. It means that the object is moving at a consistent rate without speeding up or slowing down.

What factors affect the velocity of an object?

The velocity of an object can be affected by factors such as the force applied to it, the mass of the object, and the presence of any external forces such as friction or air resistance.

How is work defined in relation to constant velocity?

Work is defined as the product of force and displacement. In the case of constant velocity, the force applied to the object is equal and opposite to the force of friction, resulting in no net force and no change in the object's velocity. Therefore, no work is being done on the object.

Can work be done on an object with constant velocity?

No, work cannot be done on an object with constant velocity because there is no change in the object's displacement. In order for work to be done, there must be a displacement in the direction of the force applied.

How is the work-energy theorem related to constant velocity?

The work-energy theorem states that the net work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. Since there is no net work being done on an object with constant velocity, its kinetic energy remains constant.