1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Constant velocity and work done

1. Jun 29, 2016 #1
    • Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
    if a body is moving with constant velocity. Its work done will be? in my point of view Work done is change in energy. Constant velocity means no change in energy. So work done is zero am i right?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2016 #2
    Yes, in the absence of fields the work done is equal to the difference of Kinetic energies at two different points: $$W=\Delta KE.$$ Since the velocity is constant, then $$\Delta KE=0.$$

4. Jun 29, 2016 #3
    Thank you :smile:

5. Jun 29, 2016 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Perhaps read up on the Work Energy Theorem. This says that the work done by all forces acting on a particle equals the change in the kinetic energy of the particle. In some cases you have to consider the negative work done by gravity or air resistance.

6. Jun 29, 2016 #5
    I think I should have written in the absence of non-conservative fields :)

7. Jul 2, 2016 #6
    thank you :)

8. Jul 4, 2016 #7

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That still leaves out gravity, if the object is moving partially or wholly in a gravitational field. And gravity is conservative!

9. Jul 4, 2016 #8
    You are absolutely right. The work-energy theorem is true for general forces regardless of them being conservative or not (depends on the resultant force). $$\Sigma W=\Delta KE$$ where $$\Sigma=W_c+W_{nc}$$ Conservative and non conservative, respectively. Is this correct?

10. Jul 5, 2016 #9

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, although more conventionally we say that the work done on a mass equals the gain in its potential plus kinetic energy. You have essentially conflated p.e. into work but I guess that is OK too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted