Constraint Forces and Conservation of energy

Main Question or Discussion Point

Suppose you are trying the solve the equation of motion of say a particle constrained to move on a surface f(x[itex]\vec{}[/itex],t)=0. The equation of motion is:

mx[itex]\ddot{}[/itex] = F[itex]\vec{}[/itex] + N[itex]\vec{}[/itex], where F is an known external force and N is the unknown constraint force.

Now, when you assume that N always perpendicular to the surface, all classical mechanics books motivate that assumption by saying that it's for calculational convenience because N can in principle have any component parallel to the surface without violating the constraint. So, we just get rid of that degree of freedom by saying N = [itex]\lambda[/itex](t) *grad(f), where lambda is an arbitrary lagrange multiplier. this also lets us solve for four unknowns using four equations.
However, we also know that the assumption that N is always perpenidcular to the surface has a physical interpretation that energy is always conserved if F is derivable from a time independent potential and the surface doesn't have any explicit time dependence.

My question is whether it is possible to have energy conservation without assuming N is always perpendicular to the surface. Or did the assumption just happened to correspond to what actually happens?

Answers and Replies

My question is whether it is possible to have energy conservation without assuming N is always perpendicular to the surface. Or did the assumption just happened to correspond to what actually happens?
I'm not so sure what you mean exactly because apparently N is the normal force but then you are adding it in x-direction(if by x you mean horizontal line) . I also think you must differentiate between what you mean by normal force N and ground reaction force R. Ground reaction force R is the sum of normal force N and friction f which is tangent to the moving surface. Therefore, N and f are just components of R in y and x directions (or n and t directions etc).

The conservation energy is valid only if the sum of the works done by non-conservative forces like friction is zero. That means if R≠N conservation of energy is not working. For it to work we must have R=N. That is, work done by friction is zero.