1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Construct B field from a given E field using Maxwell's Eqns

1. Apr 30, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given an electric field in a vacuum:
    E(t,r) = (E0/c) (0 , 0 , y/t2)

use Maxwell's equations to determine B(t,r) which satisfies the boundary condition B -> 0 as t -> ∞

2. Relevant equations
    The problem is in a vacuum so in the conventional notation J = 0 and ρ = 0 (current density is zero and charge density is zero). Maxwell's equations are reduced to:

Div(E) = 0
    Div(B) = 0
    Curl(E) = -∂B/∂T
    Curl(B) = μ0ε0∂E/∂t

3. The attempt at a solution

I've been given E so taking the curl of it I get

Curl E = (E0/c) (t-2 , 0 , 0)

So using the third Maxwell Equation I get ∂B/∂T = -(E0/c) (t-2 , 0 , 0)

But this is a partial differential. When I integrate the components of the vector with respct to t, I have to add functions of x,y,z.

So B = E0/c (1/t + f(x,y,z) , g(x,y,z) , h(x,y,z) )

Taking the curl of this vector is tricky but I'll give it a go.

Setting the curl of my B vector above to equal ε0μ0E I get a big mess of partial derivatives of f(x,y,x), g(x,y,z) and h(x,y,z) equaling my original E vector, which two of its components are zero and one is yt-2

Help please?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why would you want to take the curl of B ?

And you have a boundary condition for B that gets rid of all these f, g and h

4. Apr 30, 2015 #3
    Oh of course. Since B tends to zero with long times, there can't be any steady B fields like f, g and h would necessitate. Thanks very much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted