Find the charge distribution from the given E-field (spherical)

In summary, a static electric field should result in a static electric field? Legitimacy should be checked with curl of E = 0?
goohu
Homework Statement
see picture
Relevant Equations
1) ##\nabla \times E = 0##

2) ##\rho = \epsilon_0 \nabla \cdot E##
a) Static charge distribution should result in a static electric field? Legitimacy should be checked with curl of E = 0?

b) Using the second equation should give is the answer?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    8.1 KB · Views: 86
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Why not proceed as if you got a yes and a yes as answers and see what comes out !

Likes Delta2
I already did , I just wanted to confirm.

For:

a) ## \nabla \times E = (0, 0, -5)##. So it is legitimate since it is not 0.

b) ## \rho = \epsilon_0 \alpha e^{-\lambda R} (\lambda R + 1) \frac{1}{ R^2} ##

Don't understand a) at all ... 🤔

Likes Delta2
Actually I recalculated the curl of E and I got it to 0.

This is actually the condition for the E-field to be legitimate (since it is conservative).

From my textbook I've learned that a field that is not conservative is not an E-field.

Sorry about the confusion.

goohu said:
From my textbook I've learned that a field that is not conservative is not an E-field
Slight (but important) correction: A field that is not conservative is not a static(time independent) E-field

Likes PhDeezNutz and goohu
Slight correction (i think) for b) of post #3 i am getting the parenthesis as## (1-\lambda R)## instead of ##(1+\lambda R)##

I missed a minus sign. I got it to ## \rho = -\epsilon_0 \alpha e^{-\lambda R} (\lambda R + 1) \frac{1}{ R^2} ##

using quotient rule

well I seem to calculate $$\epsilon_0\alpha\frac{1}{R^2}\frac{\partial (Re^{-\lambda R})}{\partial R}$$ where do i go wrong?

Seems I am wrong , I calculated ##\nabla E ## instead of ## \nabla \cdot E##

Yeah I think you got it right. Its in spherical coordinates, I attached the picture of the problem in the opening post.

1. How do I find the charge distribution from a given spherical E-field?

The charge distribution can be found by using Gauss's Law, which states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the enclosed charge divided by the permittivity of free space. By choosing a Gaussian surface that encloses the region of interest, the charge distribution can be calculated by rearranging the equation to solve for the charge.

2. What is a Gaussian surface?

A Gaussian surface is an imaginary surface that is chosen to enclose the region of interest in order to apply Gauss's Law. It is often chosen to have a simple shape, such as a sphere, cylinder, or cube, to make the calculations easier.

3. Can I use any shape for the Gaussian surface?

Yes, any shape can be used as long as it encloses the region of interest and the electric field is constant and perpendicular to the surface at every point. However, choosing a simple shape can make the calculations easier.

4. What is the permittivity of free space?

The permittivity of free space, denoted by ε0, is a physical constant that represents the ability of a vacuum to permit the formation of an electric field. Its value is approximately 8.85 x 10^-12 C^2/Nm^2.

5. Are there any limitations to using Gauss's Law to find the charge distribution?

Yes, Gauss's Law is only applicable in situations where the electric field is constant and perpendicular to the Gaussian surface. It also assumes that the charge distribution is symmetric. In cases where the electric field is not constant or the charge distribution is not symmetric, other methods such as Coulomb's Law may need to be used.