1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Constructing a vector from a point

Tags:
  1. Aug 29, 2016 #1
    So I have solved the following problem: Consider two points located at ##\vec{r}_1## and ##\vec{r}_2##, separated by distance ##r = |\vec{r}_1 - \vec{r}_2|##. Find a vector ##\vec{A}## from the origin to a point on the line between ##\vec{r}_1## and at ##\vec{r}_2## at a distance ##xr## from the point at ##\vec{r}_1## where ##x## is some number.

So I have solved this problem. The answer is ##\vec{A} = (1 - x) \vec{r}_1 + x \vec{r}_2##. I did this by allowing ##\vec{r}## to vary with ##x##, and then ##\vec{A}## was just the vector sum of ##\vec{r}_1## and ##x \vec{r}##. However, I am not really understanding the solution. When we substitute 0 for x, we find that we get ##\vec{A} = \vec{r}_1##, as expected. However, when we substitute r for x, we don't get ##\vec{r}_2##. What is going on here?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2016 #2

pwsnafu

Science Advisor

##A = r_2## when ##x = 1##. The question says "at a distance ##xr## from ##r_1##", so when ##x=1## you are distance r from ##r_1## which is ##r_2##.

4. Aug 29, 2016 #3
    Oh wow, that is pretty obvious now. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted