• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Constructing two parallel planes in R3

• Thread starter mnm831
  • Start date
Hey i need help with this question and i dont know wat to do after finding the normal vector of vectors a and s. And the normal vectors of vector t and b. Can someone help me please?

the normal of s and a is (2,1,-3). and the normal of t and b is (-2,-1,3). is this right?

Construct two parallel planes. The first plane contains L1: r=(0,2,1) + s(2,-1,1) and an intersecting line that has a direction vector of a(1,-2,0). The second plane contains
L2: r=(1,0,1) + t(1,-2,0) and an intersecting line that has a direction vector of b(2,-1,1)

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

lanedance
Homework Helper
Hey i need help with this question and i dont know wat to do after finding the normal vector of vectors a and s. And the normal vectors of vector t and b. Can someone help me please?

the normal of s and a is (2,1,-3). and the normal of t and b is (-2,-1,3). is this right?
could be, hard to say without knowing s,a,t & b...

note these are antiparallel which will help for the next part

Construct two parallel planes. The first plane contains L1: r=(0,2,1) + s(2,-1,1) and an intersecting line that has a direction vector of a(1,-2,0). The second plane contains
L2: r=(1,0,1) + t(1,-2,0) and an intersecting line that has a direction vector of b(2,-1,1)
so for the 2nd part you are given a line and vector dierction in each plane

so youshould be able to find for each:
- the normal to the plane
- a point in each plane

that should be enough to define the equation of the plane, do you know how?
if the normals are those found previously, note as they are ant-parallel, they will deifne parallel planes as requred...

thnx i was thinking of doing it that way.
thnx for the help! =)