1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find vector parallel to two planes

1. Feb 2, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find unit vector(s) that are parallel to both of the planes 6x + y + z = 1 and x − y − z = 0 .

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    OK. So here is my reasoning - I find the normal of both the given planes and find the cross product between the vectors. The resultant vector will be parallel to both of the planes. I normalize the vector after to obtain the final answer. Is my logic correct? This is my first post on PF so I'm not sure if there is anything else I need to provide :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2017 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes.

4. Feb 2, 2017 #3
    Thanks. Is LaTeX necessary for this forum? I will probably ask some questions in the physics sections soon and was wondering what formatting is preferred. Also how do i close this thread?

5. Feb 2, 2017 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I would highly recommend it for more advanced maths. For simple things there is no point really. There is a short introduction on how to use it on the forum here: LaTeX Primer

You cannot close the thread. In the homework sections, you can mark a thread as solved by clicking "mark solved" in the upper right corner.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted