Line of intersection of two planes

In summary, to find the equation of the line of intersection of two planes, we need to first find a point on the line and a parallel vector. This can be done by taking the cross product of the normal vectors of the two planes. Then, assuming the line is in the form r=a+tb, we can set one variable, such as x, as a parameter and solve for the other variables in terms of the parameter. This will give us a parametric equation for the line of intersection. To simplify the solution, we can choose a specific value for the parameter, such as x=0, to eliminate one term in the equation. This will result in a simpler form of the equation, which can be converted to the standard
Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find equation of line of intersection of planes r.(3i-j+k)=1 and r.((i+4j-2k)=2

Homework Equations

a x b gives a perpendicular vector to a and b...(i)

The Attempt at a Solution

to write equation of a line r=a+tb we need a point a on the line and a parallel vector b. Taking the cross product of 3i-j+k and i+4j-2k gives us b, assuming r to be xi+yj+zk, we get 3x-y+z=1 and x+4y-2z=2, putting...2 equations in three variables, how do we end up finding a and is there a faster method?

Likes Charles Link
Physics news on Phys.org
You can pick any ## x ## you like, and then solve for ## y ## and ## z ## to get the point ## a ##.

Charles Link said:
You can pick any ## x ## you like, and then solve for ## y ## and ## z ## to get the point ## a ##.
So my method is correct? That's basically what I did but I picked z=0 and found x and y

Likes Charles Link
Charles Link said:
so I got 14/39 , 5/13, 0 as a. r=a+t(-2i+7j+13k) is this a correct final answer

Krushnaraj Pandya said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

to write equation of a line r=a+tb we need a point a on the line and a parallel vector b. Taking the cross product of 3i-j+k and i+4j-2k gives us b, assuming r to be xi+yj+zk, we get 3x-y+z=1 and x+4y-2z=2, putting...2 equations in three variables, how do we end up finding a and is there a faster method?
As you wrote, you have two equations 3x-y+z=1 and x+4y-2z=2 and want the solution.You can choose one variable arbitrarily, as parameter. Say, x=t. Write y and z in terms of t and you have the parametric equation of the line of intersection.

Likes Charles Link
ehild said:
As you wrote, you have two equations 3x-y+z=1 and x+4y-2z=2 and want the solution.You can choose one variable arbitrarily, as parameter. Say, x=t. Write y ynd z in terms of t and you have the parametric equation of the line of intersection.
Seems like I'm on the right track. Thank you :D

Krushnaraj Pandya said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

For equations:
##3x-y+z=1##
##x+4y-2z=2##​
Set ##\ x = 0\,, ## then divide the second equation by 2 & add the equations.

Likes Krushnaraj Pandya
SammyS said:
For equations:
##3x-y+z=1##
##x+4y-2z=2##​
Set ##\ x = 0\,, ## then divide the second equation by 2 & add the equations.
Got it! Thank you :D

Just to add on to what I think has already been said, the solution for a line is often written in the form ## \frac{x-x_1}{A}=\frac{y-y_1}{B}=\frac{z-z_1}{C} ## which can be set equal to ## t ##. If you pick ## x_1=0 ## it simplifies the first term. You can even multiply out the ## A ## and then set ## x=t ## as @ehild suggested.

Likes Krushnaraj Pandya
Charles Link said:
Just to add on to what I think has already been said, the solution for a line is often written in the form ## \frac{x-x_1}{A}=\frac{y-y_1}{B}=\frac{z-z_1}{C} ## which can be set equal to ## t ##. If you pick ## x_1=0 ## it simplifies the first term. You can even multiply out the ## A ## and then set ## x=t ## as @ehild suggested.
Crystal clear now! Thank you very much :D

Likes Charles Link

What is the line of intersection of two planes?

The line of intersection of two planes is the set of points that are common to both planes. It is the line where the two planes intersect in space.

How do you find the line of intersection of two planes?

To find the line of intersection of two planes, you can use the method of solving a system of linear equations. This involves finding the point of intersection between the two planes by setting their equations equal to each other and solving for the variables. The resulting values can then be substituted into the equation of either plane to find the coordinates of the points on the line of intersection.

What does the line of intersection of two planes represent?

The line of intersection of two planes represents the points in space where the two planes intersect. It can also be thought of as the common boundary between the two planes.

Can two planes be parallel and not have a line of intersection?

Yes, two planes can be parallel and not have a line of intersection. This occurs when the two planes never intersect, meaning they lie on the same plane or are parallel to each other but never intersect in space.

How many points are on the line of intersection of two planes?

The line of intersection of two planes can have an infinite number of points, as it extends infinitely in both directions. However, in certain cases, the line of intersection may only have one point, such as when the two planes are the same or when they are parallel but not coincident.