1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Construction Worker Lifting Uniform Beam

1. Nov 14, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A construction worker attempts to lift a uniform beam off the floor and raise it to a vertical position. The beam is 2.26 m long and weighs 397 N. At a certain instant the worker holds the beam momentarily at rest with one end a distance d = 1.21 m above the floor, as shown in the figure, by exerting a force on the beam.(a) What is the magnitude of ? (b) What is the magnitude of the (net) force of the floor on the beam? (c) What is the minimum value the coefficient of static friction between beam and floor can have in order for the beam not to slip at this instant?

2. Relevant equations
    Just equilibrium conditions. Net force and net torque of the system are both zero.
    Transtutors001_d6995745-e53b-4939-96ea-1b4f3886a4bd.PNG
    3. The attempt at a solution

So I figured out a)168N and c)0.35 but can't find part b

I tried equilibrium conditions for the vertical forces.
    W = 397N
    F = 168N
    N = normal force
    theta = 32.37 degrees
    W = Fcos(theta) + N
    Solving for normal force I got
    397N - 141N = 255N

This answer is wrong. What's confusing me is if I use this value for part C to find the coefficient of static friction it works just fine. The answer isn't zero, and even if it was, that would be wrong because the floor pushes back up on the beam due to molecular compression. I don't get why it isn't 255N? Did I miss something here?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2014 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That's all correct, but (b) does not ask for the normal force.

4. Nov 14, 2014 #3
    Yeah I misconstrued the (net) force part. I figured it out now. I needed the normal force (N) and the x-component of the push (F) to find the net force on the beam. My mistake. Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted