1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Constructive Interference Problem with 2 Speakers

1. May 1, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    You are standing a distance d (1 m) in front of one of two identical speakers, being driven by the same source, that are a distance h (3 m) apart. You walk (starting at y=0) along a line parallel to the line of the two speakers. The speed of sound is 340 m/s and the frequency is 170 Hz.

Question: As you walk, how many times and where will you hear a maximum sound?

2. Relevant equations
    ΔФ= 2λ/m + ΔФo

3. The attempt at a solution

I solved the above equation for the variables y and m, but I am unable to solve the equation to find what values of y where a maximum sound will be heard. My teacher suggested to make a plot of the path difference as a function of y using the given d and h and use the graph to determine the values of y which satisfy the maximum sound condition.

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2008 #2

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF forums!! If you've already taken a look around, you will notice there are many interesting and informative topics around this site. And also people willing to offer their expertise and guidance on questions.

Your teacher's suggestion is a sound approach (no pun intended). Perhaps you can draw a picture of what the problem states, indicating the direction you are moving, relative to the speakers and be sure to show the relative dimensions along the axis between the speakers and then post it here. Also show the shape of a waveform, as it is radiated from each speaker.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?