Contact Vector Fields. "Flow Preserves Contact Structure?

In summary, a contact vector field on a 3-manifold is a vector field whose flow preserves the contact structure, meaning that the flow map takes contact planes to contact planes. This is different from a Reeb field, which preserves the contact form and has a Lie derivative of 0 with respect to the contact form.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi All, I am going over a definition of a Contact Vector Field defined on a 3-manifold: this is defined as " a vector field v whose flow preserves the contact structure " .
1) Background (sorry if this is too simple) A contact structure ## \xi ##( let's stick to 3-manifolds for now ) is a nowhere-integrable plane bundle on a 3-manifold M^3, i.e., we have a 2-plane distribution so that there are no submanifolds N < M^3 (i.e., surfaces here) so that TN = ## \xi ## , i.e., there are no submanifolds N of M^3 whose tangent bundle coincides with the contact distribution (this is related to one of Frobenius' theorems and involutivity).

Now ,does the statement " the flow of the vector field v preserves the contact structure" mean that the tangent space T_C(t) along any flow curve C(t) (local or global) coincides with the contact plane at C(t) ?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand the question. The way I would interpret the definition is just that the flow is a local diffeomorphism at each point in time, and, as such, it will map each contact plane to some other plane at the image point. And the definition is requiring contact planes to map to contact planes. At least, that's what it sounds like to me.

Well, yes, the pullback of the flow sends contact planes to contact planes, but I wonder if the stronger condition that the tangent planes at/along points in the flow curves are also contact planes. Basically, I am trying to understand the difference between contact vector fields and Reeb fields; contact fields preserve the contact structure, while Reeb fields preserve the contact form (the contact form is a 1-form w whose kernel is the contact distribution); every Reeb field is a contact field, but not necessarily the other way around.

One difference is given by the Lie derivative of the form w by a Reeb field R , which is 0, while the Lie derivative of w by a contact field V is g.w , where ## g: M^3 \rightarrow \mathbb R ## is a function ( so g==0 gives us a Reeb field ).

I guess it all comes down to my not having a good way of interpreting the Lie derivative. I do know this is a way of differentiating by approaching a point along the flow of a vector field, but I don't have a clear idea of what having the Lie derivative be 0 or g.w means.

the tangent planes at/along points in the flow curves are also contact planes.

That's the part I couldn't make sense of. If you just say "tangent plane" with no context, to me that sounds like the whole tangent space of the 3-manifold at those points, which is a 3-dimensional vector space, and the other thing it could be would be the tangent space to the curve, but that's 1-dimensional. I don't see what else is there to be preserved other than the contact planes themselves.

homeomorphic said:
That's the part I couldn't make sense of. If you just say "tangent plane" with no context, to me that sounds like the whole tangent space of the 3-manifold at those points, which is a 3-dimensional vector space, and the other thing it could be would be the tangent space to the curve, but that's 1-dimensional. I don't see what else is there to be preserved other than the contact planes themselves.

Well, looking at the points in the flow curves as points in the 3-manifold, each of these points will be assigned a tangent plane under the contact distribution. These tangent planes will themselves have tangent spaces which are tangent planes , at each point. I don't know if I am too far-off, but can't the tangent map "induced" by the flow (this map is a linear isomorphism) take contact planes to tangent planes to the contact planes?

Never mind, you're right, I need to think the question through some more.

1. How do contact vector fields preserve flow?

Contact vector fields preserve flow by being tangent to the contact structure. This means that the vector field is always parallel to the contact plane, maintaining the contact structure as it flows through the space.

2. What is the role of contact vector fields in contact geometry?

Contact vector fields play a crucial role in contact geometry by defining the contact structure and preserving it under flow. They also help to identify and classify the different types of contact structures.

3. How are contact vector fields related to symplectic vector fields?

Contact vector fields and symplectic vector fields are closely related. In fact, symplectic vector fields are a special case of contact vector fields, where the contact structure is defined by a symplectic form.

4. Can contact vector fields be used to study dynamical systems?

Yes, contact vector fields can be used to study dynamical systems. They provide a powerful tool for analyzing the behavior of dynamical systems and understanding their underlying structure.

5. Are there any applications of contact vector fields in real-world systems?

Yes, contact vector fields have many applications in real-world systems, such as robotics, control theory, and fluid dynamics. They can also be used to study biological systems, such as cell signaling pathways and neural networks.