Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuity and Domain of Function

1. Sep 30, 2009 #1
    My question is best stated by using an example:

Suppose f is a function defined only for rational x, and for rational x f(x) = 1.

Say we want to prove that f is continuous at x = 1. Then we want to show that for every positive epsilon there exists a delta > 0 such that [tex] |f(x) - f(1)| < \epsilon [/tex] if [tex] |x-1| < \delta [/tex].

My question is, every open interval about x = 1 contains irrational x values where f isn't defined. If we consider only rational x, [tex] f(x) - f(1)| = 0 < \epsilon [/tex] and so it seems to be continuous. But what about the irrational values?

I'd say that my function f actually is indeed continuous, because [tex] |f(x) - f(1)| < \epsilon [/tex] must hold for all x in the interval [tex] (1-\delta, 1 + \delta) [/tex], where x is IN THE DOMAIN OF F. Since only rational values are in the domain of f, we consider only those x values.

Is this right?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2009 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know in this case.... where in the definition of continuity does it say you have to look at real values for x? You don't test complex values of x when determining continuity, but nothing says you shouldn't.

They may be referring to this function not as a function from the reals to the reals only defined on the rational functions (these functions are generally discontinuous, for example f(x) = x-pi fails to be 0 anywhere), but instead as a function defined on the rationals not embedded in the reals. So you lose a lot of properties of continuous functions (like the intermediate value theorem) but on the bright side you can still characterize it as continuous.

A lot of it depends on the context of the question

4. Sep 30, 2009 #3

lurflurf

Homework Helper

Yes, you consider only values in the domain.
    We can say f is continuous, or f is rational continuous.
    That said rationals are a horrible field to do calculus on as they are not complete.
    This is an artifact of all the garbage books with exercises like
    What is the domain of f=log(1+x)
    You tell me book it is your function.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook