Continuity of an inverse of a function

In summary, the conversation discusses proving the continuity of the inverse of a continuous, increasing, and strictly monotonic function on a closed interval. By choosing a small enough value for δ, it can be shown that the difference between the inverse and the original function is less than ε, proving continuity at a specific point. The conversation also mentions the importance of proving the inverse is well-defined and univocal before proceeding with the calculations.
archaic
Hey, please tell me if the following is correct.
We have a continuous, increasing and strictly monotonic function on ##[a, b]##, and ##x_0\in[a,b]##. Let ##g(y)## be its inverse, and ##f(x_0)=y_0##.
I want to show that ##|y-y_0|<\delta\implies|g(y)-g(y_0)|<\epsilon##.
\begin{align*}
|g(y)-g(y_0)|<\epsilon&\Leftrightarrow x_0-\epsilon<g(y)<x_0+\epsilon\\
&\Leftrightarrow f(x_0-\epsilon)<y<f(x_0+\epsilon)\\
&\Leftrightarrow f(x_0-\epsilon)-f(x_0)<y-f(x_0)<f(x_0+\epsilon)-f(x_0)\\
&\Leftrightarrow -(y_0-f(x_0-\epsilon))<y-y_0<f(x_0+\epsilon)-y_0\\
\end{align*}
If I let ##\delta=\min(y_0-f(x_0-\epsilon),f(x_0+\epsilon)-y_0)##, while considering small ##y##s, then I think that I have it right.
For decreasing ##f(x)##, I can flip the inequality symbols at the second step, and choose ##\delta=\min(f(x_0-\epsilon)-y_0,y_0-f(x_0+\epsilon))##.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose what you want to prove is that the inverse of f is continuous in its definition set. That being the case, I notice that in your test you are assuming, you are assuming that the inverse is well defined and is univocal, you must prove this before proceeding with those equivalences. I also see it a bit lost at the end, first justify what I have mentioned and admeas, prove that the inverse also grows strictly in an interval, and using this you can give a correct test of the continuity of the inverse.

Likes r731

Yes, your logic and calculations seem correct. By choosing a small enough value for δ, you can ensure that the difference between g(y) and g(y0) is less than ε for any y within δ distance from y0. This shows that g(y) is continuous at y0, since it satisfies the delta-epsilon definition of continuity. Good job!

1. What is the definition of continuity of an inverse of a function?

The continuity of an inverse of a function refers to the smoothness and lack of disruptions in the graph of the inverse function. It means that the inverse function is able to be drawn without any breaks or holes.

2. How can I determine if the inverse of a function is continuous?

To determine if the inverse of a function is continuous, you can use the horizontal line test. If a horizontal line intersects the graph of the inverse function at more than one point, then the inverse function is not continuous. If the horizontal line only intersects the graph at one point, then the inverse function is continuous.

3. Can a function have a continuous inverse?

Yes, a function can have a continuous inverse. For a function to have a continuous inverse, it must be a one-to-one function, meaning that each input has a unique output. This ensures that the inverse function will not have any breaks or holes in its graph.

4. What is the significance of continuity of an inverse of a function?

The continuity of an inverse of a function is important because it allows us to find the inverse of a function and use it to solve equations and problems. It also helps us understand the behavior of a function and its inverse, as well as their relationship.

5. Can a discontinuous function have a continuous inverse?

No, a discontinuous function cannot have a continuous inverse. If a function is discontinuous, it means that there are breaks or holes in its graph, which would make it impossible for the inverse function to be drawn without any disruptions. Therefore, a discontinuous function cannot have a continuous inverse.